• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new beadlock problem?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys bought four new rockathons off a buddy that had won them from a local dealer but heres my problem everytime i am out i pop the inside bead at least two or three times. Doesnt seem to matter what rim or anything fronts or backs they all do it. running 10 inch rims with 36 x 12.5 and all this is at 8-9 pounds which is not low enough for my liking. Any input on this or any little tricks that i can do to help the bead stay on. On a side note when i installed these every one popped on nice and never leaked any air, so i dont know what the deal is?

did you measure the wheels before you mounted them? If they measure 10 inches wide, you have to remember that the bead sit on the outside of the rim. This effectively makes it an 11-11.25 inch wide. I just think the rims are too wide. For a 12.5 tire, you should be in the 8-9 inch range for off road use.

That being said, you could weld 1/8th to 1/4 inch round stock onto the saftey bead. They will be a bear to mount and dismount. But you won't be losing a bead any time soon. I've heard of people using glues to cement them in there. But i have no experience with that.

nofender said:
did you measure the wheels before you mounted them? If they measure 10 inches wide, you have to remember that the bead sit on the outside of the rim. This effectively makes it an 11-11.25 inch wide. I just think the rims are too wide. For a 12.5 tire, you should be in the 8-9 inch range for off road use.

That being said, you could weld 1/8th to 1/4 inch round stock onto the saftey bead. They will be a bear to mount and dismount. But you won't be losing a bead any time soon. I've heard of people using glues to cement them in there. But i have no experience with that.
I agree. I ran that same comination with 36X12.5 TSL sx. The inner bead will lossen up. Take them off and ruff up the inner bead with a sanding disk or one of those flapper disks and glue it. Don't be shy on roughing them up. Like a quick pass with a grinder rough. You should be able to run 6 or 7 PSI.

what kind of glue you guys talking about , was planning on running wider tires in the near future thats why i bought the tens. thks for the advive

I used contact cement because I had a quart of it but I think Nappa sells a stuff specifically for this. If you can't find it go to Home depot and get a quart of contact adhesive cement and lather it on the tire and rim but work fast with it. Have your lock ring started but the inner bead still pushed away from the inner rim bead. Lather it up and and hit it with air to pop it on the wet glue. Get a small paint brush for it.

Back