• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need your opinions on what to buy, pros and cons

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
I’m currently looking at two XJ’s. The first is a ’91 limited with 98k on it, beautiful white paint, no rust, mint condition, leather isn’t even cracked. The other is a ’98 sport, 71k, nice hunter green, no rust on this one either, beautifully taken care of inside and out.

First XJ is a limited so it’s as loaded as they come. 4.0, AW4, NP242, all in good working order. Only problem is a dent to front driver fender from someone backing into it, and a missing mirror.

Second XJ is a sport. 4.0, AW4, np231, all in good working order. Power windows, locks, otherwise pretty basic.

Both have salvage titles, both are within 100 bucks or so on price. I’m partial to the pre-97 body style, but other than that I’m torn. I’m looking for rundowns on why you think that either jeep is better than the other, and any secrets you may know about either model year.

I know the correct answer to this question is buy both, but neither the wallet nor the girlfriend are gonna let that happen.

Thanks,

ECGTECH

One of the biggest differences, IMO, is the amount of power you'll get out of each. I believe the 91 I-6 is still RENIX era.

That was one of my initial concerns, but I did a little checking and 1991 was the first year for the High Output motors. A main difference that I do notice is the 242 vs. the 231 transfer cases. Everything that I've read leads me to believe that both are great cases (my last XJ was a 231 and the thing was bullet proof), but 242 owners seem to swear by the full-time option.

Keep the comments coming, thanks.

91 is High Output, yes.

Either one is a great buy. Rust free is huge...

The 91 will be far more tolerant of electronics hijinx - you can fool with the transmission and take a lot more liberties with your mods than you will be able to with the 98 without some electronics wizardry being involved. It will also be much cheaper to insure and leather is nice. Head room is better on 94/earlier XJs than 95/later and especially 97/later. The heater core is easier to replace should it ever go bad, and the slip yoke design will give you more freedom to lift before you start needing an SYE. The 91 doesn't need to get plugged into the computer when you get it inspected. What's your intended purpose?

That was one of my initial concerns, but I did a little checking and 1991 was the first year for the High Output motors. A main difference that I do notice is the 242 vs. the 231 transfer cases. Everything that I've read leads me to believe that both are great cases (my last XJ was a 231 and the thing was bullet proof), but 242 owners seem to swear by the full-time option.

Keep the comments coming, thanks.

You are correct, 91 was the first year of HO. Honestly the power difference between the two might be 10 horsepower. You're not going to notice.

Personally, I'd go 91, but that's because I prefer OBD-I to OBD-II.
The 242 is marginally weaker than the 231, but the biggest deal is the lack of a proper SYE/tailshaft conversion for them. Sure, you can send it to Tom Woods and he'll make one out of your tailshaft, but that still leaves you with a custom part that's real expensive and hard to replace if it gets damaged.
The pros to the 97+ are the steel hatch that doesn't explode when you hit it on something and the reinforced doors and such. And of course the interiors were nicer, but the early ones were easier to clean out.

of course it's not such a big deal to swap in a 231, all you need is a 231, the shift bezel for inside and the linkages.

Honestly, you should ifnd an AMC Jeep and learn all about how crappy AMC could wire a vehicle, because this is a hobby and it's supposed to be fun and challenging :shiver:

and because I laugh whenever I see the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OFfdB5EqvA

that's what happens when you break the mainshaft in a 242. Coincidentally that was also a 91 Limited.

First I would check very carefully for any frame damage because they are salvage. Things that could tweak the suspension mounting points can sneak up on you as time goes by.

Even though I'm in So. Cal. where we don't need four wheel drive, I really like having the 242 on the rare occasions of rain and mud. Being to accelerate around corners in the wet is better than fishtailing in traffic.

Mike

Love the 97+ one-piece front windows!

Thanks for all the responses. My intended purpose sort of depends on which XJ I end up with. If I go with the '91, I'll probably try to make it into a capable off roader that maintains the original look of the XJ, because I just really like the classic look of the pre-97 and would want a traditional XJ feel. If I go with the -98, I plan to get more creative because I'm not as attached to the look. I'll be interested in doing the Cheromanchee chop, cutting the fenders out, maybe taking doors off (although, no back hatch, no fenders and no doors has the potential to be one flimsy XJ).

Either way, the vehicle will be getting around 3", 31s and some upgraded components (tranny cooler for towing, quick discos, other necessary conveniences).

With regard to the salvage titles, the '98 was a recovered stolen vehicle, the only damage being broken windows that have since been replaced. Not sure why the other is salvage, extensive body examination will taking place when i go to look at the vehicle tonight.

Keep the comments coming

Thanks again,

ECGTECH

If you're gonna take the doors off stick with 97.0 down. Doorless is much easier and more durable on those, 97.5 they changed the hinge style and it isn't as easy to do doorless without it being an ugly hack.

If you're gonna take the doors off stick with 97.0 down. Doorless is much easier and more durable on those, 97.5 they changed the hinge style and it isn't as easy to do doorless without it being an ugly hack.

Negative. I took my doors off my '98 and it was far from a hack. All you do is cut the pins in half and knock them out and I have a pull pin I replaced the original pins with so that I can have my doors on and off in 10 min.

This is a poor reason why to choose one Jeep over another.

Thanks for all the responses. My intended purpose sort of depends on which XJ I end up with. If I go with the '91, I'll probably try to make it into a capable off roader that maintains the original look of the XJ, because I just really like the classic look of the pre-97 and would want a traditional XJ feel. If I go with the -98, I plan to get more creative because I'm not as attached to the look. I'll be interested in doing the Cheromanchee chop, cutting the fenders out, maybe taking doors off (although, no back hatch, no fenders and no doors has the potential to be one flimsy XJ).

Well if you are talking about going hardcore and chopping it up you might as well add frame stiffeners and a roll cage. That will stiffen things up just fine so that you can run w/o doors and/or hatch.

Good luck with the hunt!

Negative. I took my doors off my '98 and it was far from a hack. All you do is cut the pins in half and knock them out and I have a pull pin I replaced the original pins with so that I can have my doors on and off in 10 min.
Huh. I was BSing with a local member and he showed me how he did his removable doors on his 97.5+, he said he had yet to find bushings and pins that would fit properly and make the doors not sag.

Huh. I was BSing with a local member and he showed me how he did his removable doors on his 97.5+, he said he had yet to find bushings and pins that would fit properly and make the doors not sag.

I just drilled out the hinges out a little bit, forget what size exactly, and got corresponding pull pins of the same size and they work like a dream. Think it might of been 3/8" pull pin.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the '98 better over the old style. 1 big, glaring thing, to me, is a salvage based on theft / recovery vs unknown salvage title. You'll still want to do your due diligence inspecting both, but the theft / recovery salvage will most likely have the least potential for running into a major issue down the line.

Ultimately though, it's going to be your rig and the one that you have to live with and drive and the one that makes you the happiest is the one. My vote is for the '98 though..

I'd go with the 1991. I had a 91 limited. White w/tan interior, 242, 4.0L HO. Loved it. Most reliable of any Jeep I have had. Seemed to be a bit quicker than my 2000 Limited. More head room too. The 98 doe shave better looks and a better designed interior.

Back