• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to replace radiator

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed the sweet smell of coolant coming from my 98 xj and saw that the plastic tanks are starting to weep. This is my dd and trail toy. The engine and drivetrain are all stock. I have a 3.5" lift and 30" tires soon to be 33's. What does everyone suggest for a replacement? Should I keep it stock and go with a dealer unit or has anyone found a decent aftermarket that doesn't leak after a year. I have had zero overheating issues and my trails are wooded and mud not much rock crawling. Any input is welcome. Just curious if there has been a overall winner to all of the previous threads

Search fon an all metal rad that can be repaired 10 years from now...stay away from aluminum...too picky..
Radiator barn offers nice options but not the only ones....a 2 row works great for me....
My 0.02 mx peso comment

When I googled radiator barn it doesn't even come up. Just other forums with people asking where they went. I did find radiator express. Anyone have dealings with them?

I'm 1 year onto an O'reilly one, $99 and no problems so far.

this.
two years into one with the 01, 2 months into one on the 90

had 5 years on the one in the 87 and the current owner is not having issues.
The spectre/vista ones appear to be the same. I don't care to mail order radiators, sometimes it's nice to pull it and go exchange it locally.

i always had good luck with the basic aftermarket ones. i figure i could spend $150 or twice as much on a better one, but neither one will care if i sent a tree branch thru it in the woods. so i'd rather get the cheap one and "hope" for a good service life than spend more and not have any solid guarantee that the service life would be proportionately longer.
to me, stock rig gets mostly stock parts until i find a weakness then it gets upgraded.

i got a little less than 2-1/2 years on my autozone spectra before it started weeping. it was about $100 and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. it did make it through a failed thermostat and some high temps so i can't complain too much. auto zone gave me another one no questions, no charge.

All radiators will eventually leak, no matter if they are all metal or have plastic tanks. It's the quality of the manufacturing that counts.

My XJ's stock radiator let go after ten years (the aluminum rotted but the tanks were still leak-free). Replaced it with Chrysler's HD XJ radiator (52080104AC) a couple years ago and have the lowest operating temperatures I have seen in the ten years of owning an XJ.
The radiator is well built, looking much better than some of the cheap aftermarket ones out there. Of course, it cost more than $99.

Fifty years of working on cars has taught me you usually get what you pay for. When we are dozens of miles from the nearest paved road, I'm not too concerned about how much money I save on some part.

I'd rather replace with a stock replacement then an upgraded unit due to reviews. Just curious as too the quality of the aftermarket direct replacement. I do work at a shop where I get a decent discount. 10% over our cost so if the price is right I'll get a dealer replacement. Is the HD version worth it? Is it a bolt in to a 98 classic or are there modifications that have to be made?

I went online, found the cheapest Chrysler dealer, printed off the price sheet and took it to my local Jeep dealer, where they matched it.
It was around $200, delivered, two years ago. Didn't seem to be too bad a price for what appears to be a well built 1-1/2" core, cost no more than a CSF three-core and it's a genuine factory part.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...NMC--With-Max-Cooling/6792051/52080104AC.html

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/52080104ac.html

http://www.wermopar.com/oe-mopar/52080104ac?search_str=52080104AC

The OEM HD radiator is direct fit. I just put one in my 97 and it solved my highway overheating problem I was having with a 2 year old CSF 3 core. The CSF was causing it to get up to around 225 - 230 on the highway in 90 degree weather. The HD keeps it between 192 - 195

Does the hd have a tranny cooler. I thought the ska with the up country or tow package came with external coolers?

Yes it does have the built in trans cooler, but if you are looking for an upgrade i highly recommend a stacked plate type external, specifically the B&M 70264.

Thanks guys I'm going to see what kind of price my boss can get me on the hd radiator from the dealer. If it's more then the sites posted ill just order it from them myself. Living in CT sometimes the shops and dealers jump the prices up

Back