• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tips getting door open w/busted latch?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so my son's '96 XJ has a busted interior latch on the drivers door.... or best I can tell something has come apart behind the interior trim. Since I can't get the door open, I can't remove the interior trim panel (w/out destroying it) and could use some suggestions.

It appears something has either come apart or busted. Any ideas on how to get the door open or interior panel off w/out cutting it down the center?

Any idea of what could've failed? Anything I should look for if I can get the panel off? May have to see if I can find a used panel and then just cut off the OE one... :)

Thanks.

On the Renix versions, you can pull the back seat easily and have full access to the panel.

I'm not sure I follow... this is a 4 door (front drivers door is the one busted) and I could possibly get the front seat out but the dash still appears to be in the way of pulling the interior panel off w/out cutting it off.

My doors are tempermental. They will start working again after a little wheeling.

Been going on a year now... ha. Still no workie.

We are actually buying this from him as he's going to Hawaii and we're going to flip it. Just need to be able to get into the drivers set w/out climbing in thru the passenger side like my son has done the past year. :)

you should be able to pop out the rear of the door panel enough to get to the outside door handle bolts. there should be small access holes through the sheet metal. unbolt the outside door handle and pull it out as much as you can (if not all the way out). from there you can probably see the problem and get the door latch to open.

have you tried pulling the handle panel off the inside and giving the lock rod and latch release rods a pull? it's only a few screws that hold it on.

have you tried pulling the handle panel off the inside and giving the lock rod and latch release rods a pull? it's only a few screws that hold it on.

Why didn't I think of that... I'll see if that will work.

Thanks for the other replies as well... I'll see if I can get that done and hopefully get the door open

Roll down the window, remove the rubber trim/glass wipers. Grab a flashlight and a coat hanger, from the drivers seat, trip the open lever on latch mechanism.

Back