• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some local help

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
My brother has been telling me his TJ has been shifting weird and it seems like the transmission has moved back a little bit. I thought that sounded really odd and have never heard of anything like that on here or other Jeep forums so I looked underneath his Jeep and saw this...

2011-10-04_18-07-38_218.jpg

2011-10-04_18-08-13_471.jpg

The frame has completely rusted out and the crossmember just dropped on the driver side. I can only assume that the passenger side isn't too far off from the same fate and I need some help. I just bought a cheap HF welder only a couple months ago and haven't had much practice on it at all and my brother is only 18 and is just learning how to service a vehicle (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.).

I'm thinking that we could get some 3/16 box tubing and just sleeve the frame right there on both sides, but I'm not confident enough to do it and let my brother drive it everyday so if anyone can lend a hand or lead me to a shop that can take care of this I would greatly appreciate it.

My friend said he'd be willing to take a look at it - Bill's Auto in Colts Neck, NJ.

Just off exit 109 on the parkway, think it can drive there or would it need to be towed?

Ya, that does happen. Just be weary, check the entire frame for rust, that stuff spreads like the plague.

I had the same thing happen with my dad's TJ. I just had to replace the entire frame, but that wasn't the worst part of the rust on his frame.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1071097

If the rust is only localized to that area, you can try pieces like these (you can get them cheaper at other places I believe)
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-body-parts/frames-accessories-wrangler-tj.htm

My friend said he'd be willing to take a look at it - Bill's Auto in Colts Neck, NJ.

Just off exit 109 on the parkway, think it can drive there or would it need to be towed?

It would need to be towed. It moves but I wouldn't feel alright with that thing on the highway because who knows what could happen if the other side fell. We have a pretty good AAA plan so we could get it towed anywhere within 100 miles for free. 109 is only 20 miles south of me so I would be covered.

What days or times would be best to call?

Wow that looks exactly like what I was picturing in my head as far as a repair job. How does it hold itself up to the frame?

You weld it on. Really the only way to repair that frame. Like I said above, definitely inspect the rest of the frame before doing any repair, especially in that little hole in the frame in front of the rear tires. That place loves to rust out. It would be unfortunate to spend the time and money to repair it, when another part of the frame is about to rust out.

It would need to be towed. It moves but I wouldn't feel alright with that thing on the highway because who knows what could happen if the other side fell. We have a pretty good AAA plan so we could get it towed anywhere within 100 miles for free. 109 is only 20 miles south of me so I would be covered.

What days or times would be best to call?

I'd say any time from like 11AM on...number is 908-902-9510, guy's name is Wil. The shop is at 326 Swimming River Rd., Colts Neck, NJ.

I sent him the one picture of the thing hanging down, but like Mark said, if you wanna have them go over the rest of the frame, just let him know ahead of time so there aren't any surprises.

Back