• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some input, vehicle purchase

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the requirements:

2004 or newer
$16000 or less
4x4 not awd
Front and side curtain airbags
Solid drivetrain(doesn't have to be perfect, but something that can be flogged a bit with 30-31's is what i'm shooting for)
Seating for at least 5 (comfortably seated) if not 7
I like the idea of a newer jeep. Cant afford a jk, nor does it meet my safety needs.

I'm thinkin' mostly of these two rigs:

Jeep commander 2006-2010
Jeep liberty 2008-2012

The liberty and the commander have 8.25 rear ends, np241 tcases in base models, dana 30 ifs front diffs. The libby has a winch mount available and they both have armor,sliders, and lockers available. They both tow at least 5000 and both meet the space/safety requirements.

Anyone own one or the other? Anyone decide to stray from the Jeep brand for their daily driver/weekend warrior rig? My kids are outgrowing my xj and i've ruled out fullsize pickups for now.

Definitely appeciate your thoughts. :)

x2 for the WK, just not an 05/06. my dad had a few issues with the 4wd system and ABS and all that crap on his 05 and it ALL needed to be replaced.. thankfully under warranty (4.7, quadra-trac). it was a lease and that was the only issue it had. after that he bought an 08 and it is awesome (laredo w/ leather, power everything, 4.7, quadra-trac) and has about 45k on it now. not a single problem so far besides some dumb issue a couple weeks ago with 02 sensors, cats, and OBDII codes which i'm blaming on an incompetent tech. two new 02s and a new cat and its fine now (under warranty). he drives it like a rental most of the time, but he does take care of it. the factory goodyears are just about ready to be replaced, but we're gonna be throwing an old man emu lift and a slightly bigger tire on.

the commander is basically the same truck, just longer. if you need seating for 7, get one. i think the hemi is a little bit better of a motor too. i dont have any first hand experience with the truck though.

10-4, thanks for the info on the wk's.

Also checkin' out montero's and landcruisers. LC's are good trucks. My dad has had two of them, but finding a newer one in my price range means it has tons of miles on it.

Back