• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need rebuild kit recommendation....

The problem I see here is that you will have to pull the crank and have it inspected to see if it will need to be turned, This affects the rod and main bearings. Also, you will need to have the cylinders measue to see how musch needs to be bored out to clean them up. This affects the pistons and rings.

So... In my opinion, you would be better off working with a local machine shop to determine your needs. And before anyone else chime in. Yes, you could stroke it. It is possible to buy a "crank kit" that has the proper sized bearings with it. You would need a late model (end of production) YJ crank so it can accomodate the serpentine belt. Also the endo of production versions have the snout of the crank the correct length. Earlier versions of the YJ serpentine crank require the use of a 0.100" Spacer between the harmonic damper and the crank nut.

Just my .02!

Waaaay ahead of you there steamer! I will fill you in on the long story I omitted from original post.

saw this thing on craigslist, listed as "bad head gasket"-- I was out of town, told my father to go take a look at it, crank it up drive it around, if it ran a little hot and blew some smoke, that would be ok, we could fix it for a quick flip.... I've only done about 10 of these now like that :).....
anyway, he bought it and when I got back, I found out he bought a Lemon.... no oil pressure, two broken puch rods... :-(
got it torn down now, sludge had built up so bad in the oil pick up tube and screen that it choked the oil pump completely off. I have no idea how long it was run like this, but the crank was pretty scarred up and 3 of the lobes on the cam were completely round... I have taken my block and crank to the machine shop.... the crank will need to be turned 10-10 and the bore is .08 off, so by the time you hone it... it's too far gone... so time to bore....

soooo I need a kit with everything...

I want to put it back stock

Never heard of Enginetech,but I like to go with premium parts when rebuilding(Fel-pro,Sealed Power,etc).

Back