• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Rear Fender Cut Ideas!

RockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I have to cut my rear fenders to make room for the tires. I've drawn a half-dozen fender shapes and can't really settle on one I like. Give me some ideas, or load this picture into Microsoft Paint or Photoshop and draw me what you would do! The basic options seem to be a smoothed, curved opening, or a trapezoidal shape. The smooth curve could look good, but it would be difficult to bend tube to match for tube fenders. Trapezoidal would look more XJish, and would make tube fenders easier, but I can't seem to draw it out and make it look good. I would prefer not to fabricate a "filler" peice at the front of the opening, and don't worry about the inner fender. I already know I will have to cut quite a bit of it out and fabricate new inner panels.

I need the cut to be at least up to the dashed line, as that is where the tire will be at full compression.

img3730mediumux0.jpg

Here is a general shot of the other side feel free to photoshop in how you'd cut it.

img3727mediumkw4.jpg

Go for the MEGA TRIM !!

Dsc04708.jpg

Just kidding, I probably went too far on this one :laugh3:

Take the stock flare shape and think of raising it however much you like, but then think of cutting the flare in half and lengthening it too.

Then your shape will be the same as factory, just higher and longer.

coreya701 said:
dont be afraid! hack that bitch out and then figure something out after!!

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675045&page=2

I'm really more of a "measure twice, cut once" kinda guy, ;)

Keep the ideas coming! Let's see some more cut rear fenders! I don't think anything posted so far is cut as high as I need mine. Due to the location of my rear axle, I don't really need to trim the front edge of the opening at all. I'll probably trim that section just enough to match watever shape I use.

87xjco said:
Take the stock flare shape and think of raising it however much you like, but then think of cutting the flare in half and lengthening it too.

That's really not a bad idea. I may try tracing the stock flare and see what it looks like.

Here's what I plan on doing when I stretch my XJ. I figure I'll go to a junkyard and cut out the flat part of the rear fender(for the lip), and extend my wheelwell back and weld in the flat part of fender from the JY and make it look like stock, extended.

Here's a photochop of your with my idea, with the edges cut and folded over:
xj-1.jpg

and here's an XJ I came across sometime and saved the picture with a similar idea:
new_n1169.jpg

This ended up being the winning idea. Thanks! I actually just took the factory flare, positioned it where I wanted it, and traced around the outside. It turned out pretty good! Once I get my coilovers mounted I'll be able to patch up the holes. Here's how I ended up cutting them.

img4694ud7.jpg

Braden, you gonna have it done in time to debut at the 25th Anniv. event? Be nice to wheel with you again, it's only been about 5 years......

Bummer.......keep the good Tech coming. I've got a few XJ winter projects planned myself. Am I seeing some weld on rocker armor in the last picture?

Does anyone have close pictures of cutting the rear fenders and re-welding the inner and outer fenders?

Back