• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinion/info on edelbrock air filter please

danny boy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Hey Hey!

I posted this on the mod forum, but nobody seemed to care. So, here goes again.

I'm developing a wierd ram-air intake for my 4.0 and found the edelbrock pro-flo filter#1006 (i think pn is correct) to be perfect in shape, dimensions, price and mounting style. However, i'm a little unsure that the filtration media is good enough to be relied on, especially because the engine this is going on is fairly new. The filter is made of a foam that looks similar in composition to that stuff that k&n makes their pre-filters out of. It also kind of reminds me of the foam in bicycle helmets that offers some padding between the head and the styro-foam. Is this making any sense? Beuller? Beuller?

My plan is to stick the filter out of the hood like a muscle car. Note:I realize that this is uncommon on xj's and will probably have numerous opponents but Im fairly set on this design and mainly just want info on the filter. However, all comments and suggestions are welcome, but factual information is what I crave!;)

Anyway, thanks in advance for the info,

peace out!
danny

Sorry, I don't have any fotos, but a quick trip to edelbrock.com and a peek in the auto accesories section should yield a good foto.

Dr. Dyno, I must say I'm glad you're taking interest in my topic because your advice is highly valued. Thanks again for info from you or anyone,

danny

Is this the one?

tops_pro_flo.gif

or is it one of these?

chrome_air_cleaners.gif

Either way, I'm sure that you could make it work with a good ram air hood scoop. The only problem is how you're going to prevent the filter from getting soaked if it rains.

I've used the 1002 triangle but in a holley box, same filter. Does an OK job of filtering but not nearly as good as the 1207. However I'm going to get one of those 1235's and try one. Oh, I use these on computers that I build that are used in high particulate areas where the customer does not want to put them in a sealed unit refrigerated air. Saves him $1200 up front but costs him [email protected] every month.
As an aside, when our field artillary unit first got the then new GMC full sized blazer and GM pickup trucks with the diesels in them we had some issues. Everything would be hunky dory, running good and at some point the engine would not accelerate. Found that the foam element they wrapped around the paper filter would plug with enough dust to restrict airflow, removing it and beating it against the fender then reinstalling it would fix the problem for a few hundred miles then it would have to be repeated.

nice work!

the one i'm thinking of is pro flo #1002. Rich, you said this works well but not as well as the other. would you say that its slight deficiency is enough to discount its use?

Dr. D, you're right about it getting wet, but here in southern california i'll just keep the stock airbox around for when it does rain, but 99% of the time its dry enough that i'm not really concerned (though its been raining like a mofo lately!) Thanks for getting those fotos up, by the way.

keep 'em coming,
danny

Max airflow is great. However, the ram-air effect does not take place until roughly 80MpH. I would not worry heavily about ram-air, but instead concentate on getting massive quantities of clean air into the motor. Try placing the air pickup and element inside the cab. Works great for dusty environments like CA.

danny boy said:
nice work!

the one i'm thinking of is pro flo #1002. Rich, you said this works well but not as well as the other. would you say that its slight deficiency is enough to discount its use?

Dr. D, you're right about it getting wet, but here in southern california i'll just keep the stock airbox around for when it does rain, but 99% of the time its dry enough that i'm not really concerned (though its been raining like a mofo lately!) Thanks for getting those fotos up, by the way.

keep 'em coming,
danny

I personally would not use a foam element on the street, basically it filters out the 'big chunks' and thats about it unless it is one of the oil soaked kind, that traps alot more but you will see performance degrade as it literally plugs up and restricts airflow and the engine management package then reduces fuel flow and you loose power. It will do it slow enough that you won't notice it till you can't pull away from red light which is how the military blazers and pickups acted. Worked fine for a convoy where you were doing a consistant 50mph, then you would stop, refuel from the tanker and couldn't pull away from it till you cleaned the foam element. Kept the paper element pretty clean though. If the motor sgt caught you driving with the foam wrapper removed it was your ass now belonged to him and you'd find youself changing hummer tires....manually with tire irons :rattle: I'd rather bust track...

Word Up!

thanks rich. i went to the parts house and looked around today and decided not to go with the edelbrock filter. what you said about only getting the big chunks seems dead on.

stay tuned for details of the finished project...

danny

Back