• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need new brakes on the trailer

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I have a tandem axle trailer that needs brakes all around, plus I am probably going to put drums on at the same time. This is going to be a 2 month process due to funds, so I was wondering which axle I should do first the front or the rear. I may have to use this trailer in between brake installation so where do I start? Thanx Cardboard

I have a tandem axle trailer that needs brakes all around, plus I am probably going to put drums on at the same time. This is going to be a 2 month process due to funds, so I was wondering which axle I should do first the front or the rear. I may have to use this trailer in between brake installation so where do I start? Thanx Cardboard

go to http://www.etrailers.com to get your brakes, you can buy complete assymblies for less than the shoes would cost you alone

Well after doing some checking and looking around, I am beginning to think it maybe a better idea to just buy 2 complete new axles.I have #5200 axles at
the moment but dont see why I cant drop to #3500 axles and just go new.

The wheel bearings on the 3500# are alot smaller then your 5200# axles... Pull it apart first to see what is needed. A complete brake assembly can be had for 75 bucks (domestic) import can be had for 40 bucks...
If replacing axles go with dexter be carefully with the import guys...

Its just a thought. The trailer is only 15' long only weighs 1180lbs empty and really only carries an xj or my daughters tj. Like I said it was just a thought. Its a lot cheaper too.
cardboard

The wheel bearings on the 3500# are alot smaller then your 5200# axles... Pull it apart first to see what is needed. A complete brake assembly can be had for 75 bucks (domestic) import can be had for 40 bucks...
If replacing axles go with dexter be carefully with the import guys...

My old trailer had 3400 axles on it, when one got bent, I replaced it with a 5200 and everything was exactly the same brake and bearing size. I don't think the bearings change until you go to the 6 lug axles

My old trailer had 3400 axles on it, when one got bent, I replaced it with a 5200 and everything was exactly the same brake and bearing size. I don't think the bearings change until you go to the 6 lug axles

You are mistaken sir, there is quite a difference between the two. The components are not interchangeable. You can have 6 lug on a 3500 lb axle also. www.dexteraxle.com will clear anything up for the op.

You are wrong, I was able to switch the bearings and brakes off my 3400 right onto the spindles of the 5200 no problem, it was the exact same spindle size, the tube was rated heavier is all

Once again you are mistaken. Yes you can go heavier on the axle tube but it does not increase the capacity of the axle. The weak link is still the small spindle which is still 3500 lb rated. Not like I haven't been in this business for the last 16 years or anything...:gee:

Don't know how you think I am wrong when both axles had the steel tag stating the axles load capacity and I was able to swap one to the other and they fit perfectly. Unless the mfg taged them wrong. I dought that was the case since I know what trailer the axle came from and it was labeled the same way

Your wrong sorry man. Who is the mfg? I let the facts speak for themselves. Check out any DOMESTIC axle mfg web site and then you will be informed. That's why I posted a link to dexter. They are the industry standard. If there was 5200 5 lug axle then you would have 5 lug wheels with that capacity. Sorry to burst your bubble but someone lied to you. Mfg do mistag axles. I sell thousands a year and sometimes I can't believe how often axle tags are wrong.

Yeah, the 5200lb. stuff might be more expensive, but it should last much longer seeing how it is only being used at 1/2 of capacity, no?

Peace of mind is how I look at it. I'd rather be overkill then just getting by...

Well finally got a few extra minutes and tore these axles apart. I wont be needing drums just brake assy. for both axles. I am doing one at a time, so do I do the front or the rear, and still have the trailer usable. Basically if I only had brakes on one axle should it be on the front or rear?
Cardboard
Yes I am sticking with #5200 axles!! :wave1:

As long as you tow with the trailer level it doesn't matter. I've seen it done both ways. Personally I would do the front...

Back