• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more gearing

The biggest issue with stacked cases is that the already short driveshaft becomes even shorter!Where would you even use such ratio's.My sons tc is 4.7:1 and thats almost to low.

What would be some things to look for when buying a used Teralow?

I found one for $500, and supposedly it has less than 10K on it. If it appears to be in good shape I think I found my answer to more gearing. :cool:

The biggest issue with stacked cases is that the already short driveshaft becomes even shorter!Where would you even use such ratio's.My sons tc is 4.7:1 and thats almost to low.

Well, there's also the stock 2.72 ratio available, which is unaffected by the modification. With a SYE, you'd only gain maybe two inches overall in length, which for us 5-speed guys, makes using a front shaft for the rear an option. Here's a link to one of the doublers offered. There's another thread that compares D.D. Machine to Mad Rooster's system.

Just stuff for the budget minded guys to think about.

Steve

p.s. Whoops on my first post. You do get 2wd low, but no FWD only for digs. You use the front half of the donor case.

Last edited:
I’m running 35’s with 4.56, auto and switches. I ran a Tera low till I blew it up due to lack of oil; it was loud, max rpm’s is limited to 2000, great on the rocks but to slow for fast trails.
I now have an Atlas 4 speed 2,2.73 and 5.44 to 1, I love it! I can go fast and unless it’s a vertical drop off I have to give it gas to go down hills

i'm running ax-15, 33's, 4.56's and 4:1... that's gotta be near spot on gearing to 35's and 4.88's.

4:1 does make gear noise.
In 2wd I only notice it if slowing to a stop and downshifting, otherwise I never hear it. If it does make noise all the time it must get drowned out by the super swampers.
In low range it is noticable at about 1200rpm, and gets louder as you gain more rpm... thankfully, there's rarely a need to run any great distance at more than 1200rpm.
And, gear whine doesn't bother me anyways... they're gears, they make noise.

4:1 is not too low, I make use of 1 through 4 when in low range... If I need more speed than 4th at 12-1500rpm, there is a really neat lever beside the tranny shifter that allows you to go to high range. Amazing. On less technical terrain, with 4.56's and 33's (or 4.88's and 35's) I often find high range is plenty capable. which pretty much means, I don't run low range in 4th with 2000rpm when high range and 1st will surfice. Again, 1 lever allows you to shift in and out of low. Not a big deal when you shift your own gears anyways, but I can see the auto folks not liking it.

My .02

Thats weird,I use low range(4:1) almost exclusively,its makes driving alot easier on the brakes(and the foot).There are definately times when the trails are mild that I have to go back to 4HI,but not very often cause if its that easy I just go to 2WD and save gas and wear/tear!

i'm running ax-15, 33's, 4.56's and 4:1... that's gotta be near spot on gearing to 35's and 4.88's.

4:1 does make gear noise.
In 2wd I only notice it if slowing to a stop and downshifting, otherwise I never hear it. If it does make noise all the time it must get drowned out by the super swampers.
In low range it is noticable at about 1200rpm, and gets louder as you gain more rpm... thankfully, there's rarely a need to run any great distance at more than 1200rpm.
And, gear whine doesn't bother me anyways... they're gears, they make noise.

4:1 is not too low, I make use of 1 through 4 when in low range... If I need more speed than 4th at 12-1500rpm, there is a really neat lever beside the tranny shifter that allows you to go to high range. Amazing. On less technical terrain, with 4.56's and 33's (or 4.88's and 35's) I often find high range is plenty capable. which pretty much means, I don't run low range in 4th with 2000rpm when high range and 1st will surfice. Again, 1 lever allows you to shift in and out of low. Not a big deal when you shift your own gears anyways, but I can see the auto folks not liking it.

My .02

Thanks for the input.

How's the 4:1 in the technical stuff? Is it a night and day difference from the stock t-case gears, or do you feel the need for a little more gear?

Thats were it shines the most,crawling at its best!

RCP,
Come to think of it, typically I go all the way back to 2wd as well... doh.

Torx,
I tend to go places I really should have lockers (I run TrueTrac's), and I subject my rig to plenty of abuse especially considering it's a daily driver... I guess at 2.5" lift, running 33's and plenty of armor I find the gearing spot on.
Trails I like to run call for;

Rating: 3.5 Hard Trail
Description: Some rocky sections, bypasses at most major obstacles. Some body damage possible. Rocker panel and rear quarter panel protection helpful.
Vehicle and Equipment: Upgraded bumpers (Useable as a hi-lift point), rocker panel skids, skid plates, Hi-Lift, 32" Tires, Rear locker

Rating 4: Moderate Rocky Trail
Description: Frequent ledges, crevices, large boulders, steep inclines and off camber situations. Body and or tire damage likely. Spotters may be needed for some obstacles. Low tire pressure required, good chance of loosing a bead. Possible component breakages.
Vehicle and Equipment: Front locker 35" tires Upgraded axles Lower ring & pinions, transfer case gear reduction (w/ manual transmission), winch, recommend spare axles, recommend spare steering parts.

If you get into terrain more difficult than that, I would assume you’d want even more gear reduction that 4.88’s & 4:1 with 35’s.

Hope that helps.

Back