• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help On Dana 60 Front

xjrugger said:
So he cut the axleshaft down too like he did to the axletube?

Yes. Dutchman is a good place to have this done, or you can order custom Superiors for the extra strength.

CRASH

ok guys, i know this is an old thread i started, but while searching for answers on my full width swap i happened to come to this. I have the dana 60 rear still from who knows what vehicle, but i have found dana60's out of a 78 f-350 that i may purchase. My question is that if i only buy the front and the wms to wms are different is there a difference it will have on the steering effect with a detroit in the rear (detroit in the front too, but manual hubs). Example is if the rear is longer will it have any negative affect on steering compared to the front being longer. Also, i know some may be drooling for pics of the build up, but it will not be started for a while b/c as u can tell by the original thread date is that i am short of funds to begin the build up, but would prefer to have the axles so i can buy gears, lockers, arms, etc over time and wait out to find better prices. Also, if i do purchase both i will have a dana 60 rear for sale in the upcoming month. In addition i know crash mentioned having to cut down the axle to mount the coils properly? I want to keep the axle it's original width and not have to coils bowed even though they will sit very inboard on the axle, is this okay? I want this to be able to still drive hours to the trails.

xjrugger said:
In addition i know crash mentioned having to cut down the axle to mount the coils properly? I want to keep the axle it's original width and not have to coils bowed even though they will sit very inboard on the axle, is this okay? I want this to be able to still drive hours to the trails.

With the late 70's units, you may have room to run the coils with out too much splay. With the 80/90's 60's from a Ford, you will have a bunch of coil splay. I've never set up a 70's unit for an XJ.......

If you can get the '78 F350 D60 for a good price you should buy it regardless. If you end up not using it you could sell it later on for a profit. If I found one of those axles, I would buy it and hold onto it until I could actually use it in some sort of buggy project.

Greg

Back