• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a stock XJ, TJ, or ZJ rim for testing

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some stock XJ, TJ, or ZJ rims. I like the later model Classic rims but right now I'm not too picky. I just found out that my Suzuki SX4 has a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. I also will be putting on a little 2.5" lift and skid plates. This last winter was hard on my little zuk. The horrible ground clearnace caused me quite a few issues in the deeper snow. My factory plastic front skid plate shattered. The lower part of my rear plastic bumper has some damage now as well. I plan to put the lift on and run a taller snow tire. I would like to keep my stock tires and rims to run the majority of the year and then toss on a set of winter tires and rims during the cold months. What I would like to do is test fit a XJ, TJ, or ZJ rim. The SX4 guys are saying I need some type of hub ring to fill the gap since the center hubs don't match. Not really sure what they are talking about or if that is a sketchy thing to do. If you have a stock rim lying around I would really appreciate you letting me borrow it for a while to get this figured out. If they will work with no safety issues then I will probably buy the full set from you if you have a full set. Hopefully I can find someone semi local to the Yucaipa area.

I know that some aftermarket wheels have a stupid little plastic o-ring piece that sits on the inside "lip" of the "wheel hub". With the correct bolt pattern, and as long as the inner hole of the wheel is larger than the piece that is on the hub should be fine.

I know that some aftermarket wheels have a stupid little plastic o-ring piece that sits on the inside "lip" of the "wheel hub". With the correct bolt pattern, and as long as the inner hole of the wheel is larger than the piece that is on the hub should be fine.

That's exactly what I thought and I know that the Jeep center hole is larger then the suzuki hole, but the Suzuki guys are saying the Jeep rims are hub centric and the Suzuki rims or lug centric or something like that. I may have mixed that up or said that wrong. I still think they are wrong, but I really want to test fit a rim to make sure. here's a link to the lift I'm picking up. You can see that they are running old school ZJ rims with bfg at's. I sent them an email to find out if they had to adapt anything to run those rims, but havn't heard back yet. I'm not a fan of that specific Jeep rim, but you get the idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.rocky-road.com/sx4sus.html

Last edited:
saturn vue rims are the same lug pattern, and they share a platform with the suzukis so it may be more of a direct fit. just throwing that out there.

saturn vue rims are the same lug pattern, and they share a platform with the suzukis so it may be more of a direct fit. just throwing that out there.

Thanks. I did not know that. I will look into that.

Thanks. I did not know that. I will look into that.
the suzuki xl7, chevy equinox, pontiac torrent, and saturn vue all share the same platform.
pretty much every 5 lug import will have the same lug pattern as well, fyi. accords, i think camry, etc.

Last edited:
Since its your winter ride (low speeds) I would not worry about hub vs. Lug centric.
agreed, the wheels on my van arent hubcentric, and they have the non conical lug nuts since they're old school mags. zero problems, and it's 5000lbs. and i drive it like an asshole. perfectly fine and tested over 100mph, i'm sure (closed course of course :D)

I got a response from RRO and they told me the lifted SX4 in the pics was more of a photo shoot. They finished the lift then yanked the tires off of an employees ZJ and tossed them on the SX4. They stated they ran to the allignment shop a few miles away with no vibes but that was all at low speeds. when they got back they swapped the stock tires back on. There advice was to get the correct hub size rim. I'm still gonna try it. If it doesn't work then no big deal. I just know that a few SX4 guys are running Jeep rims. I just have to make sure it will be safe and vibe free. I am also looking for a set of some used but with good tread 215 70 16s' or 215 75 15's all terrains with snow rating.

When can I swing by? I could just drive my suzuki over and test fit them right there on the spot. If they fit then maybe we can work something out for a set.

The difference between hub centric and lug centric is where the load is held by the wheel and hubs. On a hub centric setup the load is held on the center of the wheel and the center of the hub, the lugs only hold the wheel onto the hub with the clamping force and side load being applied. On a lug centirc setup all of the load is applied to the lugs, and I believe (but don't quote me) that the lug nut and seat taper are different on a lug centric setup.

I also agree with the above statement, if its just for your winter and deep snow driving, you shouldn't have any issues at the slower speeds. But I also know from personal use and experience you can buy a set of hub centric adapter rings and the work just fine to take up the gap and absorb some of the load. You just need an accurate measurement of the centerbore on the wheel and the measurement of the hub itself. They are pretty cheap, you can usually find them on ebay or just go to your local machine shop and have a set cut on there lathe with some nice aluminum stock! Ooh shiny!

So I looked for some Saturn Vue and Equinox rims but no luck. Jeep rims seem to be by far the easiest to find. I realized if I'm gonna try to track down some Jeep rims I should be specific on what looks good/not horrible on my SX4 and what looks ridiculous.

These are rims that will work:

aly09026u.jpg

ALY09018U.jpg

jeep-cherokee-rims-9012a-b.jpg

jeep-cherokee-rims-9016.jpg

spacer3.jpg

These rims will not; or anything with "snow flake" as the description. Jeep seemed to have 5 or 6 versions of the ugly arse snow flake rims.
jeep-cherokee-wheels-1512.jpg

jeep-cherokee-rims-9009.jpg

jeep-cherokee-wheels-1513.jpg

The difference between hub centric and lug centric is where the load is held by the wheel and hubs. On a hub centric setup the load is held on the center of the wheel and the center of the hub, the lugs only hold the wheel onto the hub with the clamping force and side load being applied. On a lug centirc setup all of the load is applied to the lugs, and I believe (but don't quote me) that the lug nut and seat taper are different on a lug centric setup.

I also agree with the above statement, if its just for your winter and deep snow driving, you shouldn't have any issues at the slower speeds. But I also know from personal use and experience you can buy a set of hub centric adapter rings and the work just fine to take up the gap and absorb some of the load. You just need an accurate measurement of the centerbore on the wheel and the measurement of the hub itself. They are pretty cheap, you can usually find them on ebay or just go to your local machine shop and have a set cut on there lathe with some nice aluminum stock! Ooh shiny!

x2 !!!

Easy to find. Go to a wheel shop and pick some up (usually plastic). Need OD of car hub and ID of wheel hub you are putting on (using mm). I have tried running without them on hubcentric cars and each time you take the wheels off and on the point at which it vibes will change.....50...75....65mph. Tire wear should be uneven too. Just spend the $10 or $20 when its time.

x2 !!!

Easy to find. Go to a wheel shop and pick some up (usually plastic). Need OD of car hub and ID of wheel hub you are putting on (using mm). I have tried running without them on hubcentric cars and each time you take the wheels off and on the point at which it vibes will change.....50...75....65mph. Tire wear should be uneven too. Just spend the $10 or $20 when its time.

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Bump. Still looking for some stock Jeep rims.

Back