• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA Photo Assignment.

GSequoia said:
Sure is a lot of snow there for recent photos.

:twak:

1st, The picture must be taken after the assignment is given. This means you can not go back through your photo library and pick a photo that matches...you must go out and find something.

Cheaters are never winners.........

Yeah, you busted me. I noticed the date on the pic too.

two for one, Tracks going Down.

46.jpg

An HDR shot of my Cherokee while we were tracking down the remnants of Centralia, PA and its' 40 year old mine fire:
346687133_YXrv6-L.jpg

how did you make your picture look like that?

iluv83vettes said:
how did you make your picture look like that?

I'm a photographer :p It's called HDR (High Dynamic Range). I'll copy/paste what I wrote in reply for every time someone asks me lol:

HDR refers to High Dynamic Range. It basically allows you to photograph a subject as it truly appears, or BETTER in many cases.

The basic principal behind it... I use a Nikon D70s. It allows me to use "Bracket" shooting. I set my bracketed shots for 3 shots, each 2 stops different from the other. This basically creates three photos: -2, 0, and +2. You then use a program, Photomatix in my case, to merge them together. Once merged, it's still nothing special. You then need to use that program to "Tone Map" the new single image. This is what brings out the final product.

You can also use just one imagine, ONLY if it's a RAW image. This helps for you to take photos in diverse conditions (moving vehicle traffic, pedestrians, trees, whatever). You then use a RAW editing program to change the stops manually as with the 3 photo routine. You then save 3 versions of that original RAW. -2, 0, and 2 EV as before. Make sure the RAW editing program does NOT save file info, and if it does delete it. If this is not done, it will not work properly and will look like poop. At this point, you then go ahead and Tone Map as before, and you get a similarly good final product.

Ghost, if you want a neat trick try this (I don't have any photos onhand of it, I've only experimented with it in the house).

Find a semi-slow moving subject (a lazy creek is great) and get your camera on the tripod.

Take four quick shots.

At home bring them into photoshop and separate them out, each one a different color channel (either CMYK or RBG). After that merge them into one. It creates a pretty nifty effect much like the turn of the century experiments with color photography.

GhostDakota said:
I'm a photographer :p It's called HDR (High Dynamic Range). I'll copy/paste what I wrote in reply for every time someone asks me lol:

HDR refers to High Dynamic Range. It basically allows you to photograph a subject as it truly appears, or BETTER in many cases.

The basic principal behind it... I use a Nikon D70s. It allows me to use "Bracket" shooting. I set my bracketed shots for 3 shots, each 2 stops different from the other. This basically creates three photos: -2, 0, and +2. You then use a program, Photomatix in my case, to merge them together. Once merged, it's still nothing special. You then need to use that program to "Tone Map" the new single image. This is what brings out the final product.

You can also use just one imagine, ONLY if it's a RAW image. This helps for you to take photos in diverse conditions (moving vehicle traffic, pedestrians, trees, whatever). You then use a RAW editing program to change the stops manually as with the 3 photo routine. You then save 3 versions of that original RAW. -2, 0, and 2 EV as before. Make sure the RAW editing program does NOT save file info, and if it does delete it. If this is not done, it will not work properly and will look like poop. At this point, you then go ahead and Tone Map as before, and you get a similarly good final product.

This is what I understood in that..."Blah Blah Blah, I'm really cool with pictures and you will never be able to do this, but I will explain it to you, even though you won't understand."

thanks though. If I ever buy a real camera and all those programs and stuff I will know how to do this

hahaaha exactly. it does look awesome though, very cool picture. or is it pictures? so confusing. lol, nice job :)

Hmmm... wet. We haven't had much rain here lately lol. Too bad they have to be taken after the assignment 'cause I have some great shots with water and XJ's ;-)

PuppetMaster said:
Oh and since it is the first today...

Septembers word...in honor of all those in La.

WET

70241ccf.jpg

Barely Wet
P1020302.jpg

River is getting low. In july I would have been under water.

OK, so I didn't go out and get this after words, but it was the very last wheeling trip I went on 07/27

Just a tad WET

on Holcomb Creek Trail (Big Bear, CA).

OK, so I didn't go out and get this after words, but it was the very last wheeling trip I went on 07/27

Just a tad WET

on Holcomb Creek Trail (Big Bear, CA).

That area looks a little different now

Keeping with the theme

Back