• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrowed D44/9" Swap

I guess that's true. I'm in the process of the same swap. Waggy 44/8.8. I was just wondering if I need to be ordering some steering assist. I would like to have my box rebuilt, tho. Wasn't there a company that sold a 4:1 box?

I guess that's true. I'm in the process of the same swap. Waggy 44/8.8. I was just wondering if I need to be ordering some steering assist. I would like to have my box rebuilt, tho. Wasn't there a company that sold a 4:1 box?

The need for assist can only be determined by yourself in your own terrain.

You're not going to gain or lose any steering power by swapping axles, only by changing the distance from balljoint center to TRE center on the steering arm.

You're not going to gain or lose any steering power by swapping axles, only by changing the distance from balljoint center to TRE center on the steering arm.

Like I said somewhere up there I haven't put enough miles (and no trail miles) on this set-up to say for sure. However, it seems to me that changing axles and going from a UTK set-up to a high-steer OTK set-up will change this distance as well as the angle and should improve the power steering.

The angle of your draglink will affect it as well, yes.

Swapping axles directly won't have an effect on steering power. It just might happen that the D44 knuckles you have have a shorter/longer distance from BJ center to TRE center, and you have high steer which reduces the angle of the draglink.

Still waiting for UPS to bring my new steering box, supposed to be here tomorrow. Had a really busy day at work but still managed to get out to the garage. I finally made up the skid for my OX cable. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Should be more than strong enough to keep the cable out of harms way.

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

Somehow most everything worked perfect at Winterfest last weekend. Only had one issue when a line came loose on my assist ram and dumped my PS fluid. Got it tightened up, poured in more fluid and ran the rest of the day. Sure is a good feeling driving without thinking/worrying about if/when you are going to pop an axle. Time and money well spent.

Back