• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery plug under hood

What was your question? Grab a DMM and see if you've got voltage there. That should be the plug, but if it's got power and ground, that's all you need to make a light work anyway.

I guarantee you that's for the hood light. You can tell from the plastic stiffener taped to it (to keep it from going into the hood seal when closed) and the mounting tab. The hood light mounts on the hole in the hood right near there with the flat orientation slot near it, the mounting tab bolts to the other similarly sized hole to the left of it. Both are self tapping screws, either 8mm or 5/16 head iirc.

The hood light connector has constant power, apparently the hood light module itself has a tilt switch in it (thanks to ehall for clearing that up for me when I asked.) The factory hood light is next to worthless (very dim, reflector is useless, casts more shadows than light), I am going to be mounting my old OEM fog light somewhere to the bottom of the hood and using that when I find a spot that will not result in it smashing into something with the hood closed.

I guarantee you that's for the hood light. You can tell from the plastic stiffener taped to it (to keep it from going into the hood seal when closed) and the mounting tab. The hood light mounts on the hole in the hood right near there with the flat orientation slot near it, the mounting tab bolts to the other similarly sized hole to the left of it. Both are self tapping screws, either 8mm or 5/16 head iirc.

The hood light connector has constant power, apparently the hood light module itself has a tilt switch in it (thanks to ehall for clearing that up for me when I asked.) The factory hood light is next to worthless (very dim, reflector is useless, casts more shadows than light), I am going to be mounting my old OEM fog light somewhere to the bottom of the hood and using that when I find a spot that will not result in it smashing into something with the hood closed.

Thanks for the info. I've got a 4 D cell mag mounted inside, but I'm sort of an OEM accessory junkie.

Sounds like I just need to swap plugs from the 98. Also, I've got an extra fog light too, that's a great idea.

Back