• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery Clutch Theatre 3000!!!!!

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some clutch issues. One day out driving the clutch petal felt a little funny in that it was catching closter to the floor than normal. Also there was a slight sound that could occasionally be herd. Under accerlation the sound cant be herd, but when crusing it could be herd depending on load, and when you let off the gas it got noisy. If you pushed in the clutch, the noise goes away. At the end of the day driving, I couldnt get the clutch to disengauge and had to drive 10miles or so of urban driving in 3rd gear to a friends shop where it sat until this weekend when I have time to look at it. I asked on here before and the majority said that the throw out bearing might be shot and causing the clutch to not fully disengauge. The clutch petal felt like it always has and not once did it feel like a sponge. I got everything taken appart and the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate all look good with no bad signs of wear or overheating. The pilot bearing has grease and moves with out any feeling of resistance. The same applies to the throw out bearing. If feels great with no resistance in it as you spin it. The slave cylinder is bone dry on the outside with no signs of leaks. There are no leaks around the master cylinder or any of the clutch lines. The fluid was still at the full mark before I took it appart.

What gives! Its ****ing me off so bad I want to light it on fire and watch it burn :flamemad: Theres always something wrong with my XJ.

Thanks,

AARON

Just replace the pilot and throwout bearings now then you can either blame them if it worked or plan on a replace or rebuild if it didnt..Worst case senario is rebuild because you cooked the input cluster on 3rd gear just like I did along time ago...Heres a hint if its dead dont take it to a shop go find one out of a wrecked xj and go from there as long as its in good shape a tranny shop will hose you bad and they really dont cost that much anyway...
themud

I doubt very much that the tranny itself is dead as it shifts fine when the engine is off as well as when I shifted throught the gears today with it out of the Jeep. The fluid looked ok and there was not an abnormal ammount of metal shavings.

I did find something else that may or may not have any signifiance to the clutch. I measured the crank shaft end play at .025 with a dial indicator. Factory spec as per the FSM is .001 to .006. I think I have an engine problem now.

AARON

Back