• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj stutters

foolforfish

NAXJA Forum User
Oh great and wise XJ people throw me some ideas please. 94. Xj 4.0 aw4 231. She has started to stutter while driving. At constant speeds low or high she gets a bad hesitation. Not all the time but getting more frequent. I have checked all the grounds, battery cablesand connections for all sensors, no corrosion or looseness. Ignition is fine. What next? Search mode and my phone don't get along, sorry. All help and smartarse replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

No check engine light? Perhaps throw a reader on there and see what it says.

If you suspect ignition is okay, then it must be fuel. Put a pressure guage on it and see what it says.

You might also start w/a basic tune up... Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Run a can of BG 44 through it.

Hopefully some one with more experience than I will chime in once the weekend is over and they are done partying/wheeling.:jester:

Last edited:
No check engine light no codes. Tune up is 4000ish miles. Thanks muddbutt. At least I got home from several days playing in the forest and fishing before it acted up.

Pop the distributor cap and check the contacts in the distributor cap and the rotor.

Had one the other day--XJ 4.0--ran like crap intermittently. Supposed "tuneup" 3000 miles ago. Cap electrodes were BURNT, so was the rotor tip, and there was so much carbon crap in the distributor itself I used a whole can of electronics cleaner and then blew it out with compressed air. New cap, new rotor, happy customer.

Test the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) with an analog ohmmeter (the kind with a
needle-pointer meter dial). Watch for a smooth needle sweep movement (ie: no hiccups)
as you slowly work the throttle.

Back