• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Turn

No way paint or PC looks better than nicely polished aluminum!

Here's both legs now up to 600 and looking pretty uniform (I have issues with that). I need to run by the sandpaper store tomorrow and get some 800 and 1000 and then I think they'll be ready to start buffing and hand polishing.

The worst part has been working around the castings.

Bit of a closeup.

You can although I probably will not. This is a set of mountain bike cranks that I cut down and filed away a bunch of extra material on for a single speed build I did a few years ago because I wanted them really light. I sanded them out and buffed them and they still look great. I use Mothers polish on them once in a while to bring them back. Obviously, they're scratched more now because well...they're on a mountain bike.

Obviously, they're scratched more now because well...they're on a mountain bike.

Lets get you setup with some trainers.

george-bush-training-wheels.jpg

DJ...I don't get it. Are you implying that the cranks are scratched b/c I fall over when I ride?

Here's after some wet sanding with 1200. Not happy with the ear on the right and will probably go back and address those scratches. Do I need training wheels for those forks?

Parts arrived last night. Tapered head bearings went in today. I also drilled out the steer stops and put in 4mm bolts so the new clip on bars don't hit the tank.

This is after one pass on the buffer.

This is where I Stopped for the night. Should have ti back together tomorrow.

Real happy with how the fork legs turned out.

All back together.

Pretty pumped with the end results.

Not a great shot of this side.

Was really hoping to start it up but I have a fuel leak and a broken inline filter so I need more line, clamps, and another filter. Sometime this week I'll start it up.

Looks really good man, I like that bike a lot. Did you ever get it running correctly or is it still giving you fits?

To be honest, the last time I even started it was in December and that was just to hear the exhaust. Now I'll have to start over with the tuning.

Spent a lot of time working on this project the last few weeks. Way back when I rebuilt the carbs, I set the floats at 22mm just as the manual states. But since things are so old and unknown (original floats?, original valves and seats?, etc.) I decided to check where the fuel level was in each carb bowl. I drilled out a drain screw and epoxied a small brass tube in place. I then screwed that into each of the bowls and used clear tube to show where the levels were in each bowl. Even though all were set to 22mm (and checked numerous times) they were very different and likely contributing to the rich conditions I was fighting. After a lot of work, I got all the levels to the right spot. I also lowered the needle in each carb one slot to further lean things out. Then I readjusted the mixture screws. I got it all back together last night. It was a bear to start because of all these changes and I imagine it could really use another carb sync. When I first got it started it was only running on 3 cylinders but after dropping bowl 4 one more time, the fuel flowed and it fired up on all four. It hasn't run this good since I've owned it and it doesn't smoke any more. I'll sync the carbs again tomorrow and see where things are then.

Awesome man, that's good to hear.
I have a Yamaha Turbo with 4 carbs that needs help. Should I just drop it off? :D

Absolutely. After I finished my carbs I said I wanted to do another set. I found a free set of 550 carbs and grabbed them and they are all cleaned and polished and ready to go back together. I'm on summer break in a few weeks too.

Been tough to get much done up here with all the crazy weather but I've still been trying. I got out for a few rides around town this weekend to see how things were. Bike runs good up top but it sucks down low. I played around a bit more with things today. I did a plug chop at WOT and things look good. Cylinder 4 has never looked that good and I've had all 4 cylinders for a while now which is a huge improvement over last summer. From a stop and until about 1/4 throttle the motor really bogs. Even running around town at 1/4 it bogs. I suspect it was still rich. I decided to try moving the needles one more spot to further lean things out today and it helped even more. I'm getting really damn close. I'll resync the carbs again and ride it for a bit. I had a guy follow me today until I pulled over. He wanted to look at it and had lots of questions. That's probably the coolest thing about this bike. It's unique. A friend bought a 2015 Ducati 1299 Panagale the other day but I've seen three of them in the last week. I just hope I can get this thing to act right. I don't have much tuning experience or CB experience but I sure hope I can get it to a point where I can ride it up here and down in Springs and have it act ok.

Bit of an update here. I painted the tank and side covers and put on new/temporary decals. I also recovered the seat. I did a much better job this time around.

I have decided to rebuild the top end of the motor. I picked up a used head and it's going to get new valves, springs, seals and guides. It will also get decked slightly. I decided to not do any porting on it. While I have the head off, I'm also going to pick up some 550 jugs and new pistons/rings. When done, I'll have a 550 top end with the 500 bottom. The achilles heel of the 500 motor is generally thought to be the trans but mine is not showing any of the typical issues so I'm going to run it until I have a problem and then I can pick up a 550 bottom and swap it out. I'll use my cam and rockers. Should be a huge improvement over what I have now but I hope to finish out the riding season on it as is and get this done over the winter.

I'm also planning on figuring out a way to install rear set pegs over the winter because the stock pegs with the clip on bars is not comfortable. I'm routinely getting in 100 mile rides on the bike now which is awesome. This thing is so fun to ride.

I love the bike. Looks great. I think we've talked before, I'm in your neck of the woods. I'm surprised I've not seen this thing running around town before. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks guys. Stackhouse (Kyle right?)...the problem is that WP isn't really big enough. When I ride I either head down the pass, out 24 or 67. There's really not much cruising IN town. The bike is pretty loud though so it's not easy to miss.

Back