• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Other Adiction

FiveNdime

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would share my other habit. I like to build rides that are different. I did some trade work for my dad who had this thing sitting in the shop for years. He had plans for it but the plans changed and I talked him out of it so I could start my favorite rat rod platform. It was basically stock when I got it minus the flat six motor that was in it. I've been working on this thing for a couple months now when I have time. Its coming along but im no where near finished. For now my build cost budget was set for 2000 bucks. I may go over a few bucks but thats due to my stuborn ways...ie keeping it 4 wheel drive will cost me a few more bucks. This is the reason for me parting out my other XJ.....I think its worth it!

Well enough talking, on to the pictures.

The day I brought it to its new home.
IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

mock up of the ride height.
IMG_0637.jpg

The start of the rear susension. I took the original leafs and brackets off the bottom of the frame. I then seperated the leafs and took a few packs out and reassembled them. I then made a place for the new/old brackets to weld up to on top. I also flipped the shackle to the opposite swing direction.
IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

For kicks I made a W for willys as a part of my gusset.
IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Last edited:
Now for the front suspension work. I did basically the same theory as the rear. I took the stock front bracket and moved it to the rear which moved my shackle to the rear giving it a better ride quality. I then made a pocket for the front part of the spring to sit in. I also moved the springs outboard of the frame rails.
IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

I sourced out a 72 Jeep 258 inline six mated with a 3spd and a dana 20 transfercase. I am ditching the dana 20 in favor for a twin stick dana 18 with either a stick or electric overdrive. This is so I can get the rear output to be on the lower side of the case instead of out the middle which is up high. and more inside the cab which means more tunnel work then needed.
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I then tackled the floor and tunnel. The floorboards were swiss cheese so I couldnt leave them like that, since its just not safe. I ended up cutting the old tunnel and moving it up and back so I could hopefully put the sticks for the transmission and transfercase in the stock areas.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

Here are some random photos. I built a crossmember out of chain for the rear notches. its surprisingly rigid but took me hours to weld up lol
IMG_0710-1.jpg

Here is how it sits now. without the motor. I'm currently in need for some chevy axles or a different pair of axles that I can toss under it. I'm ditching the stock stuff.
48willys.jpg

I hope you chop it. love it so far!

Awesome!!!!

Here is how it sits now. without the motor. I'm currently in need for some chevy axles or a different pair of axles that I can toss under it. I'm ditching the stock stuff.
48willys.jpg

Just curious what's the vehicle on the top of that rack and how did you get it there? Also that's a perfect use for thornbirds.

Dave

Yeah tryed to post pictures of my Mando frame and tub, but just cant get it to post from photo bucket. So I gave up and posted three ones. :)

Just curious what's the vehicle on the top of that rack and how did you get it there? Also that's a perfect use for thornbirds.

Dave

Its my CJ3A with a 4.3L Chevy motor and 700r4 transmission swap. Ive got a long way to go on it. I give you props for noticing that, no one else on any other forums has. The racking is a custom made setup. I can stack quite a few rigs up there. The rails the jeep sits on can be pivoted up or down and the use of a winch mounted to the rack pulls it up the rails. Kinda hard to explain but works well. I ran out of floor space so I needed to go up!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Its been a blast of a project. Its going to look pretty sick when I get it done. Hopefully for this summers season.

You probably know him. But have you been to The Jeep Guy? He has a few of them trucks and wagons.

I actually bought the motor, transmission and transfercase from him for this project. If I remember correctly his name was Ryan. Super nice guy, talked my leg off haha. I'm gonna take my truck to him when I am done so he can check it out.

The welded chain cross-member is awesome. I'd love to see this thing in person.

Back