• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Moab trip with LandCruisers NW.

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I ended up getting real lucky and being able to go to Moab in the begining of November, what an experience! I had been helping out down at LandCruisers NW in Portland and they planned a trip down to moab to test out a vehical they had built for the lead singer of Prodigy. He wanted to test out his rig before they shipped it over to Europe so the guys at LCNW decided a Moab trip would be alot of fun and good proving grounds. The FJ had a full exo cage, front and rear bumpers, and rock sliders built by LCNW. Also a TRD supercharger to give 300hp, Atlas 4 speed, ARB front locker, factory electronic locker rear, magnaflow exhaust, total chaos suspension, beadlocks, MTR's, winch, and lots of offroad lights. It worked great! We had the new FJ cruiser, two very well built Toyota's on 37's, a sweet TJ on 37's, and my XJ on 35's.
Everyones rig did great and I was extremely happy with mine even though it had 4.56 gears on 35's with a AX15 stick and a factory low range. My passener rear wheel bearing starting humming real bad on the drive down but I just ignored it and it held up. I need to stiffen up the front suspension a little, lift the rear a little more, and get a 2LOW kit for the 231, everything else was great. The blue Toyota had a crawl box fail but it was warrentied by Trail Tech who sent a replacement ASAP. He only got to wheel for 2 days which kind of sucked.

Moab was awesome and not just for offroad, there is so much to do there if you like the outdoors. We spent 4 full days there and it was not enough. Arches park was incredible as well, I could have hiked around there for days. The wheeling was something else, the rocks provide so much traction that you can drive right up stuff you can't walk up. All the trails have hard challenges and it seems like most you can roll easily if you pick a bad line. A exo cage would be nice to have. The hot tubs are also incredibly steep, the big one was just insane! Here are a small number of pictures, I have not exchanged pictures yet with the other people who went.

MOAB08017.jpg

Hells Revenge, I forget the name of this climb but it is a narrow ledge up then down with straight drops on the sides.

MOAB08037.jpg

My XJ, still Hells Revenge.

MOAB08043.jpg

Keiths FJ.

MOAB08067.jpg

Hells gate, Matt's early 90's straight axle conversion Toyota.

MOAB08070.jpg

Hells Gate, very nice TJ in our group.

MOAB08086.jpg

Big hot tub, the climb was vertical at the top and the water in the bottom was mixed with oil and incredibly slippery. If you stepped in the watter at all you would fall over. Tony tried going up it in the blue Toyota and I tried in my XJ. It was impossible for us with the oil watter in the bottom. We both winched straight up the face, that was a crazy feeling. If the line broke you were in big trouble..

MOAB08095.jpg

Me in a smaller hot tub, it was still incredibly steep and also had oil watter in the bottom.

MOAB08097.jpg

As you can see it is incredibly steep.

MOAB08098.jpg

I some how got up it, everyone else was winched out. My KM2's worked awesome in Moab. Just about any tire works great due to the rocks, they felt like sandpaper.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/Jeepboy381/MOAB08098.jpg

MOAB08102.jpg

TJ giving it a try.

MOAB08115.jpg

Good view of Hells Gate.

MOAB08142.jpg

Keith in his FJ.

MOAB08149.jpg

MOAB08154.jpg

MOAB08161.jpg

We came back down this hill at night and it was scary. It started raining a little bit and the hill was very off camber. The FJ got close to tipping and we hooked up a winch line to re-position it. Erveryone else was close but didn't need a winch line. I got spotted in a bad spot on the way down and was an instant from rolling. I came up on the two drivers side tires but had the steering wheel turned in the right position because I was prepared and floored it right away. It would have been a total the Jeep roll abd was damn close.

MOAB08171.jpg

Arches park.

MOAB08177.jpg

Carvings on a hike to little arch.

MOAB08178.jpg

This carving was on a rock bu the others, they didn't mention it and I have no idea what it is. Maybe a knife, does anyone have a idea?

MOAB08202.jpg

Incredible place. Little Arch.

MOAB08217.jpg

The view from Little Arch.

MOAB08226.jpg

Strange looking rock huh??

MOAB08264.jpg

Me climbing, the sun lit up the rocks behind me really bright.

MOAB08284.jpg

Sunset at Arches.

MOAB08292.jpg

Competetion rock racer we outwheeled in Pritchet Canyon on Rocker Knocker. He tried getting up it and spent about 15 minutes getting up it on sticky compund Krawlers. Another buggy spent even longer and he had rear steer and sticky tires as well. This buggy tried again after the first time and gave up because he couldn't make it again. Two other locked Toyota's on big tires tried as did a V8 Jeep Scrambler, all were denied. Everyone in our group went right up it or spent just a couple minutes doing it gracefully. It was great, all the other guys at the bottom were cheering and it was a cool moment!

MOAB08314.jpg

Cool picture from Pritchet Canyon.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/Jeepboy381/?action=view&current=MOAB08144.flv
Short video of me going up a steep climb, the video didn't do it justice. The other 2 guys in my Jeep got out because they were scared of rolling. It was fun!

Nice pics Josh, what other trails did you run?
We did hells revenge twice, not all the trails there but lots of the good ones. One whole day was spent just hiking and exploring at Arches Park. We played at Area BFE one night, we did pritchet canyon part way through and back, and then the next day we did the whole trail at Pritchet Canyon. Pritchet canyon was the hardest but real fun. Hells revenge was alot of fun, not quite as hard, but the scenery was amazing and the climbs were steep. We would have done more but one Toyota was down for 2 days. I will be going back next year at least once for sure!

That FJ is badass. Nice pics man, thanks for sharing.

Rich

That FJ is badass. Nice pics man, thanks for sharing.

Rich
The FJ was very cool, everything worked great! The suspension setup was awesome. It had a Fox remote resi 8in front coilover, another fox triple bypass 8in shock, and 4340 axles on each side with some sweet bulletproof a-arms. The rear had coil springs with fox rear shocks as well. This suspension kit was used in the Score Baja 250 on a FJ and it came in first place. This FJ also had a full belly skid that covered just about everything under the truck, alot of tiem was spent building it! Not only can it handle jumping but it also flexed well and performed great in Moab.

Nice trip report! I like the 6th picture, it really gives a good perspective.

How were the KM2's road manners on the way down? Other than the bearing did the D30 take the abuse alright? Any idea what your MPG was on the way down and back?

Nice trip report! I like the 6th picture, it really gives a good perspective.

How were the KM2's road manners on the way down? Other than the bearing did the D30 take the abuse alright? Any idea what your MPG was on the way down and back?

I think the KM2's are a little louder than the KM's but not horrible. They wounder a bit more but I think that is due to the fact that I am comparing these 35's to my smaller 33's. The Dana 30 had no problems and it got abused good, I put new 5-760 joints in the factory shafts and it held up great. I was just easy on the throttle if the axles started hoping around, and hit big undercuts slowly. The wheel bearing that went out was a rear one in my dana44.

I got great mileage as well! There was two times I got 13mpg but that was half a tank when we were driving in the mountain passes climbing steep grades. The rest of the time I got 17-19 mpg varified with my GPS. Pretty good considering I have 4.56 gears.

Not bad, how do you like 4.56's for the PNW terrain and 35's? I think with those gears and 33's I am a bit overpowered, and have been thinking of going to 35's.

-Alex

Not bad, how do you like 4.56's for the PNW terrain and 35's? I think with those gears and 33's I am a bit overpowered, and have been thinking of going to 35's.

-Alex
I think the 4.56's and 35's are fine here in the NW. 4.88's would be better but I am happy with 4.56's. I was at Browns camp all day Sunday and never killed my Jeep once with a AX15 5 speed. I miss the acceleration I had with 33's and 4.56's but I can still pass and climb hills fine. 4.88's would be alot better on the street though.

Back