• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My interior smells like pond scum

thanks to this thread, i found the source of my pond scum smell.. thanks everyone.

lifted up the carpet on my drivers side and there was a huge puddle underneith and the undercarpet foam was soaked.

i soaked it all up with a towel and now i have to find the leak. The headliner is not wet so i'm thinking it might be coming from the rear of the car? does that seem like an appropriate assumption to make? The headliner only starts to get wet down near the bottom where it levels out with the floor. maybe water's getting in through a hole in the floor when i hit puddles or something... gonna remove the seat and look around to see if i can find anything.

does home depot sell that under carpet foam stuff? i cut mine out cause i didn't want it to grow more mold... but i think i would like to replace it for sound dampening reasons.

tstaples said:
does home depot sell that under carpet foam stuff? i cut mine out cause i didn't want it to grow more mold... but i think i would like to replace it for sound dampening reasons.

I ordered carpet foam from Stock Interiors. They also have an eBay store. I can't comment on the quality, because I haven't received it yet.

JC Whitney sells automotive carpet foam too, but it's more of a cloth than the rubberized thermal/acoustic protection that Stock Interiors offers.

Sam's club sells some stuff called "Odo-Ban" that works spectacularly. I used it in my basement when it flooded and there is no smell down there any more. It has a eucalyptus smell, like your typical carpet shampoo.

Back