• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My HOMEBREW 242 SYE w/pics.

The yoke listed from Tom Woods is a Powertrain Industries 3103-27CV, you can find it online for around 80 bucks. It has the right spline count and diameters to fit right onto the stock XJ rear output shaft.

What you do with it from there is up to you. I am holding one in my hand right now I bought years ago and thinking I should take a second look at how a 231 rear output shaft goes together... IIRC, the late model ones (what I have) have a bearing right inside the tailhousing that's normally retained with a circlip, I suspect if I cut it down to the right length (on a lathe to keep the cut perfectly square) and possibly turned out the splines for the first section of the yoke, then turned down and threaded (or cut and tapped) the output shaft and bolted the yoke on, it would retain the bearing properly and be a better setup than a normal hack-n-tap. It might require using an older style seal though - it looks like the seal ODs aren't compatible, so finding a seal that has the right OD for the case you have and the right ID for the 3103-27CV yoke would be necessary. Checking my pile of random on-hand seals and stuff, it looks like the old style seal's ID fits the 3103-27CV yoke neck pretty well.

New style (96+) rear output seal: SKF 18108
Old style (95-) rear output seal: Timken 4370N (iirc, double check that before using that info)

SKF 18108 OD: 2.572"
Timken 4370N OD: 2.383"

Back