• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my gooseneck project

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
so i figured it would be cheaper to get a 5th wheel camper frame and build a flat bed out of it. i may be wrong. we will see. paid 700 for the frame with title
imag0572b.jpg

according to the title its a 83 cimm 35/8fw, im guessing thats 35 ft long and 8 ft wide.

imag0576n.jpg

imag0570n.jpg

i was happy with how little rust it had. the axles are 5200 pound and the breaks work. i will prob rebuild them before i go and do any real hauling with it. the outside frame rails are 2x6. but they appear to be thin walled. i was looking at it and had a seat on the rear bumper and the whole frame bowed a little i must have moved atleast 4 inches. and on real close inspection i noticed that the frame just above the pass side forward axle had bulge to it.
imag0579v.jpg

imag0577c.jpg

here is what i hope the end project to resemble with a cherokee instead of a wrangler
IMGP1960.jpg

im trying to figure the best way to make this into a flatbed trailer and stiffen the frame up a bit. i was considering a few options. 1 was to use flat plate and run it on the inside and out side of both rales and get some stronger tube for cross bars and put a deck on that. another was to get some 1/4 wall tubing and build a sub frame and weld it on. should be able to build one big enough to cover the tires.
im also worried about the height of the hitch vs my bed rails. and considering im modifying the thing how hard do you think it would be to cut that big square hitch rack of and go with a v style goosneck(like the one in the above pict)? any of ya got any exp doing this kind of stuff? any input would be very appreciated

Last edited:
I'd weigh the trailer as it sits and determine how much room you have to play with the weights. Do you already have the camper? What's your Cherokee weigh? You might exceed #10,400 in a hurry if you're not careful beefing the frame.

You definatly have your work cut out for you as far as bracing goes... You could upgrade the axles but then your frame is your weak point. I hate to say it but maybe you should offload this and get something rated for more weight from the get go

^^ sick dodge :shocked:

hey burser. love that setup. esp the truck. how do you like having the camper on the bed? ill have to look at your build thread when i get home. what year is your truck ya should consider doing a cummins swap lol

hey burser. love that setup. esp the truck. how do you like having the camper on the bed? ill have to look at your build thread when i get home. what year is your truck ya should consider doing a cummins swap lol

thanks..

for the people with lots of time here is dodge build :)
http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41246

and yes it has a cummins in it..

as for the trailer..I loved it and it worked great.. pull into camp, setup in 5 to 10 mins and ready to sleep..the issue I ran into was with wife 2 kids and dog it got tight very quick.. so I had to go larger which i did..

but if it was just wife and myself or 1 kid then it was great.. or when I went by myself..

was a fun project and glad I did it.. but yes I am sorry to say I sold the camper and the dodge..

Ya I went to your website linked in your profile and was what you did to that truck. Very awesome. I'm doing the same thing to my 79 plymouth trailduster. I also sent ya a email through your website email.

When you put a camper on a big trailer like that, doesn't it pretty much eliminate camping in a camp site? Spots aren't usually big enough to fit a trailer that long

It takes a little more planning when you need a longer spot, but most campgrounds have enough room. They're not any longer than most RV's.

I picked this up last spring:
IMG_20110515_101347.jpg

so after lots and lots of disscussion and debating i decided i was going to get a b&w hide a ball goose neck hitch. so i went out and bought a fith wheel hitch :)
imag0585j.jpg

i got it and all the hardwere to install it. paid bout the same for a hide a ball hitch new. and i think this will work out jsut as good seens how i dont have to find a goose neck adapter and worry bout the box stressing and breaking and now i dont have to worry bout the trailer hitting the cab .

Back