• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front d60 experiment.

My vote is to LOWER the front (betcha can't guess who this is)

the coils are good at rest but when really compressed they try and bow a bit...gotta see what others have and whats acceptable...I'll try to get some pics of the arms etc soon...nothing fancy...

dsc035048yp.jpg

there. the arms are 2x2x.25 square with a 2x2x.25 angle piece reinforcing the bend I had to make. In the rear is a F150 rear leaf spring bushing (2.5" dia or so) and the front lower has a cut down yj shackle bushing. The other side just runs a lca with a upper I can put in for the street. Still have a lot to do with trimming and grinding and an endless list of stuff to do before I take them out and break them and have to start over.

Re: My front d60 experiment.(longer term update)

Hey. Just figured I'd update this...

I made some cross over steering for it now...its kinda funny...over the on the drivers side and under on the pass side so that drag link(?) is clear of the pass side rim. Sure turns smoother.

The stock dodge track bar is a nice length but I could never get the frame side track bar mount taper drilled out so the the dodge track bar tierod end fit smooth. Sheared the threads right off it in the pit being winched out of the rock garden. So i went back to the shop, cut the tierod end off, ground down the end of the track bar and put a 5/8" rod end on it. That worked out pretty good.

The lca's havent broken yet. Great flex from the big poly bushings. I never put the passenger side upper arm on anymore and instead installed it next to the driverside uca...still dont know how strong those tractor supply store link bars are but I figure I dont have much of a chance of breaking two.

The cam bolt on the bottom drivers side seems to always work loose. Too much stress on that side? Going to take it out and weld a washer on so it wont walk around. Dont really need it for alignment anyhow.

And...because the front was 72" wide and the rear 65" I am running Q78R16's (35.5x10.5??) on stock dodge 16x8 rims on the front and now have 35x14.5 boggers on 16x10 rear rims on the rear. Kind looks sorta normal now.

Great on the trails. Lockrites front and rear. E350 brake master w/ stock discs on the front and stock drums on the rear. My prop valve is still modified from when i had discs on the rear so the rear brakes even with the front, great on the trails and makes for some interesting emergency stops on pavement. And I found out why people run two shocks on the rear...keeps the rear from chattering and shuddering and bouncing during those afore mentioned emergency stops.

I'm happy with my wimpy 60 swap. Cost under $1000 to put the one ton gear on my heep until I bought new tires. Very stable with the extra width. Wish for better gears but if I keep it out of overdrive I can still keep up on the highway. Beat the stuffin out of it in tellico and didnt break it. The next evolution will be 5.88's and 37"+ size tires....but thats a way down the road...

You get an "I"....

For Innovation.

The stock dodge suspension is similar in design but the control arms dont line up exactly cause the dodge axle is so wide...so "custom" arms and control arm mounts on my subframe were in order...the xj's coils dont line up directly on the dodge coil buckets, but it was easy to use the dodge coil buckets as a platform to put the new coil mounts on...

I almost did something similar but with an 01' set of axles (no disconnect) 32/33 splines. my donors were picked up from a burned truck and the front was toast. I would have spent what a HP would have cost so I decided otherwise.

yellowxj said:

that is crap!!

just kiddin man..
Awesome work, i can't wait to see how it works when you bring it up to Tellico nxt year!!

Back