• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My AX-15, will it live?

Yea but did you always use the right oil? Chuck said he did not and ran the wrong stuff for about a year.

Redline I think is supposed to be one of the only synthetics that are safe for use with brass/bronze synchros. Most are rated GL-5.

The research MJR did a few weeks ago suggested that Jeep made some changes, because for several years 80W90 GL-5 was the recommended lubricant for the AX-15 tranny. Then one day ... it wasn't. (Or maybe I have it reversed.) Dunno what was changed, and I don't recall if MJR ever found out.

I haven't been able to find a GL-4 gear lube anywhere. I wonder if you mixed equal parts of GL-3 and GL-5 would it be the same as GL-4?

I just ordered a gallon of the stuff from the guy in Atlanta. (The gear lube is sold in gallons -- there's an engine version that comes in bottles, I think.) He said the recommended dose is 1:10. I will ask him if he thinks the way to go is to run GL-3 and add this stuff.

My problem now is that I don't remember what I used in the Pewgoat. Probably whatever the dealer recommended, and I think that might be GL-5 but not sure.

Rev Den said:
Only 140K.....it ain't even broken in yet.....ride her till she bucks ya and then fix it.

Rev (210K on the orig 5 spd)

At what point did you modify your XJ, I only had the problem with the slave cylinder before I started with the bigger tires and such. I got the new clutch, because at that point it would have only cost me the extra in parts.

I'm trying to figure out the life expectancy, I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a busted tranny, and then become someone's trailer.

But, otherwise your comments are extremely helpful, :D

Modifing started in 92, soon as the warrenty ran out. I am on my 4th slave, the 1st 3 leaked almost as soon as they went in (Old style - no bellows) The 4th (with bellows) has been fine.
Dont get me wrong....if you feel you cannot depend on it...fix it, it is not worth the stress it will cause you if you don't..no matter what we say.
This all said......in my 5sp, (AX-15 I think) I have run the gear lube I grabbed off the shelf at the parts store, 75-90 cheap stuff and change it every 30-35K, could not tell you if it is GL-3 or 4 or 5. In my experiance a manual will not fail all at once, you almost always have at least 1 gear to get it to move, may not be smooth or perfect, but it usally won't strand you.
Eagle and Ghost are FAR more knowledgable than me on this and many other topics, so I would take thier advice very seriouslly.

Good luck
Any spelling errors are the result on internet congestion. Unfactual information cannot be attributed to the poster.

Rev

Eagle said:
Redline I think is supposed to be one of the only synthetics that are safe for use with brass/bronze synchros. Most are rated GL-5.

The research MJR did a few weeks ago suggested that Jeep made some changes, because for several years 80W90 GL-5 was the recommended lubricant for the AX-15 tranny. Then one day ... it wasn't. (Or maybe I have it reversed.) Dunno what was changed, and I don't recall if MJR ever found out.

My owner's manual(1993) states 79W90 GL-5 or equivelent and I've always wondered if that was right or not. I'm using Redline MTL now but I'm wondering if that is alright or not.
I'm confused now.

Jes

From Redline:

Red Line MTL is classified as a 70W80 gear lubricant satisfying the API Service requirements of GL-3 and GL-4. MTL also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 5W/10W/30, and the viscosity requirements for ATFs. MT-90 is a 75W90 GL-4 and also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 10W/15W/40. The additive chemistry used is non-corrosive, so even though they will provide GL-4 performance, they will not corrode synchros or bushings. Because of its low corrosivity, Red Line MTL and MT-90 could also be used in transmissions requiring GL-1 or GL-3 lubricants. Seal compatibility is designed to be similar to petroleum-based lubricants.

I think your A OK, Jes I have the same manual, from what I understand there is a misprint.

In that, anyone tell me if the silver gunk on the drain plug is something to worry about or just common wear metal?

The synchros are brass and bronze, so any shavings from them should be yellow, not silver. I suspect what you see is normal -- it's almost impossible to have a bunch of gears twisting against each other and not have some wear.

Also remember that in a modern manual transmission, all gears are "constant mesh" -- they are all engaged, all the time. We are not actually shifting gears -- all we are doing is sliding a synchro collar to engage a different output shaft on a different gear. The gears themselves do not shift.

I think I'd like to try a bottle of the moly stuff before investing in a case. I'm willing to be a guinea pig, though. I'll place a report here after I've determined any results.

You know, this is one Urban Legend(Gl-3 vs GL-5, misprint in FSM, or not) I'd sure like to see get solved - I know some great minds on both coasts have taken a crack at it, and we're still unsure.

I got a couple of AX-15's (201K and 91K) that would sleep a lot better at night. Although the only tranny that failed me was the good ole B/A-10 at 155K.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
You know, this is one Urban Legend(Gl-3 vs GL-5, misprint in FSM, or not) I'd sure like to see get solved - I know some great minds on both coasts have taken a crack at it, and we're still unsure.

I got a couple of AX-15's (201K and 91K) that would sleep a lot better at night. Although the only tranny that failed me was the good ole B/A-10 at 155K.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I don't think we may never know the truth, but even Redline mentions the effects of GL5 on syncros and bushings. I say for now, use the Redline or Mil Spec from the dealer.

Eagle are you willing to split up your gallon? I wouldn't mind buying about two quarts from you. If not, I'm going to get a case of MR Moly, then sell off the rest. Has anyone searched Ebay for the Mr Moly?

I searched for moly and came up with a supply of stuff intended for diesel engines. I suppose Ebay would be a good place to sell it, but I don't see the ability to turn a profit based on the per case price from Mr Moly themselves versus being able to buy it directly per bottle.

I'm not looking at making any money, I'll sell it at cost +/- a few cents. I mentioned Ebay, just to see if anyone else found another product simular to Mr Moly. Also I can't use Ebay at work so i was hoping someone would have checked it for me. I did find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3235553091&category=413

We can mix our own, maybe call it NAXJA Gear Juice, just kidding, anyway. I think I'll go ahead and get a case, if you want some of it let me know. Unless Eagle, decides to divi up his gallon, :D

I'll be happy to split up my gallon. I need to figure how much I need for my "fleet," and anything beyond that is up for grabs. I was a bit surprised when the guy told me the mix is 10%, because the one bottle I still have of Gear Moly says 5%. It leaves me wondering if I'm actually getting the same thing, but there's only one way to know.

Who or what is Mr. Moly?

i looked on his website yesterday and got a phone number. i called him and it was a cell phone, some guy picked up, it was really loud and i could not hear him very good he said it was a bad time because he was in his car. said to call him today.
-but i am interested in getting a bottle also or getting some off you, Eagle.

i might try to give him a call back today- if someone gets any of the moly let me know how it works and if the have any extra to sell

Chuck, kind of sounds to me like the whole rig is toast. Once the tranny goes you might as well throw the whole rig in the crusher. Oh... after you are done at the crusher you can drop that sye and locker off at my place... I'd hate to see them go to waste.

Back