• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My '96 XJ Maintenance and MPG thread

Got off work early so I did some exploring on a dirt road I drive by sometimes. Turns out it goes out to the edge of a canyon.
gJQodss.png

Nice looking jeep.

Just under 400 miles with the seafoam in the crankcase.
Currently 155miles with 1/4 tank to go.

All this for 30$ at O'Reillys right now.
teE1LCA.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the Fuel filter, my 2 week old starter...(grinding noise every 3-4 starts)

And did the exhaust, CAT and o2 sensors! A lot easier then I was expecting. Probably took me around 2 hours.

-JEGS Turbo SS 2.5" exhaust (rebranded Dynomax?)
-Walker CAT
-BOSCH o2 sensors

Video if you would like to hear:
https://youtu.be/VJfPKzqneag
PxBprzO.jpg

Down pipe o2 sensors
u5e6owj.jpg

Old CAT was nasty, the screen and everything else was broken off and moving around with ease
poO7bk0.jpg

Straight forward easy enough install:
KkksSUX.jpg

Put 50miles today on the new exhaust. First 30 miles had the check engine light on, Then it went off so hopefully the computer has worked itself out.

The drone while accelerating is way too loud that you cant talk over it. However, at cruising speed it is pretty quiet.

Also deff a major improvement in power and response. I am sure most of which is from the new CAT though.

Next on the list is to figure out where all the oil on the dipstick side of the engine is coming from.

2 usual suspects for the oil leak. The oil filter pressure sensor and the oil filter adapter O'rings.

Assuming it is not the oil filter gasket?

You should clean the area to a dry oil free state, and then after some short trips look for the first sign of oil to locate the precise location of the leak.

Well shizzz. I guess in 3k miles or so when I change the oil again I will replace those.

Probably do the valve cover in the next few weeks.

Gas is just under 3/4 full and 80 miles! Probably be much better as time goes on and I stop listening to the new exhaust..

Gas is just under 3/4 full and 80 miles! Probably be much better as time goes on and I stop listening to the new exhaust..

The Jeep gas gauges lie, they are not linear. The 3/4 full mark is about 1/2 full.

The Jeep gas gauges lie, they are not linear. The 3/4 full mark is about 1/2 full.

I agree as I have been able to squeeze another 2-3 gallons in and she still barely touches the FULL Mark. However, all things being the same it is still a marker and has me wishful thinking. :)

So next on the list is tranny cooler upgrade and air shocks!

Any recommendations on air shocks?
The rear leafs seem fine and she sits level, so they will only be needed while towing.

Up to 15.01 mpg after the exhaust upgrades. Bought an OBDII reader but having a hell of a time getting it to connect to one of my android phones..

Dig into the android settings menus and find the menu for turning on the blue tooth. Had the same problem off and on, and I kept forgetting to turn it on each time. I never leave blue tooth on by default, security is too poor.

Up to 15.01 mpg after the exhaust upgrades. Bought an OBDII reader but having a hell of a time getting it to connect to one of my android phones..

Dig into the android settings menus and find the menu for turning on the blue tooth. Had the same problem off and on, and I kept forgetting to turn it on each time. I never leave blue tooth on by default, security is too poor.

Good call! I will check it out. Thanks! :cheers:

EcoMike! When you plug in your elm327 deal does it only light up red? Also does it work with the jeep in the "on" position or does the jeep have to be running?

My 95 xj typically gets between 18-21mpg, and the best I've done is 26mpg on one trip (hand calculated) where we were driving about 55-60 the whole tank non-stop in summer.

I switched from crappy tires (brand was Winner) to Goodyear Wranglers (OEM size) and mileage went down almost two mpg! These tires are noticeably heavier (when rotating and they slowed down my low speed acceleration).

Spark plugs: I swapped to some iridium plugs and gapped them accordingly, then a month later tossed a MSD ignition in it. They both helped with mpg and idle. I recommend them. I even put them on my 95 YJ as well.

Injectors: I have bought new OEM injectors when I bought this Jeep, then two months later swapped to the Neon ones, and I picked up about .5-1mpg and gained a super smooth idle. It didn't feel any faster.

Trans cooler: I used a Ford 6.0L diesel trans cooler, Earl's AN fittings, and Aeroquip hose from the trans to the front. I haven't had a leak or issue ever. I'd also recommend an in-line filter header for the trans fluid (so you can change it like a oil filter for an engine). I typically do this on my vehicles (even though I haven't done it on this one yet) and it keeps the trans fluid Super clean. Way better than the little pickup filter.

If you're taking the header off, port match the head and header. Lay the gasket over the head, spray it with something to mark the location, and grind away. Your EGTs will drip slightly and your peak power will go up ever so slightly.

I'd also take apart the throttle body and clean it while you're there. The idle control likes to get cakes with blowby gasses.

Oh, and the last thing, retorque your head bolts.

My 95 xj typically gets between 18-21mpg, and the best I've done is 26mpg on one trip (hand calculated) where we were driving about 55-60 the whole tank non-stop in summer.

I switched from crappy tires (brand was Winner) to Goodyear Wranglers (OEM size) and mileage went down almost two mpg! These tires are noticeably heavier (when rotating and they slowed down my low speed acceleration).

Spark plugs: I swapped to some iridium plugs and gapped them accordingly, then a month later tossed a MSD ignition in it. They both helped with mpg and idle. I recommend them. I even put them on my 95 YJ as well.

Injectors: I have bought new OEM injectors when I bought this Jeep, then two months later swapped to the Neon ones, and I picked up about .5-1mpg and gained a super smooth idle. It didn't feel any faster.

Trans cooler: I used a Ford 6.0L diesel trans cooler, Earl's AN fittings, and Aeroquip hose from the trans to the front. I haven't had a leak or issue ever. I'd also recommend an in-line filter header for the trans fluid (so you can change it like a oil filter for an engine). I typically do this on my vehicles (even though I haven't done it on this one yet) and it keeps the trans fluid Super clean. Way better than the little pickup filter.

If you're taking the header off, port match the head and header. Lay the gasket over the head, spray it with something to mark the location, and grind away. Your EGTs will drip slightly and your peak power will go up ever so slightly.

I'd also take apart the throttle body and clean it while you're there. The idle control likes to get cakes with blowby gasses.

Oh, and the last thing, retorque your head bolts.

Good info! With all that extra tranny cooling, what are you pulling trailer wise? I have been looking at some 2500lb toy haulers which would put me around 3800-4000 loaded.

I looked into swapping to the neon injectors, but at 50$ each that is almost 10 tanks of gas I could buy..

Good info! With all that extra tranny cooling, what are you pulling trailer wise? I have been looking at some 2500lb toy haulers which would put me around 3800-4000 loaded.

I looked into swapping to the neon injectors, but at 50$ each that is almost 10 tanks of gas I could buy..

I got both my sets of injectors off of ebay for $80. Cleaned with new screens and o-rings.

And I don't tow with my XJ. I don't even have a receiver on it. I've got a Cummins for that and it tows like a dream! I have done trans work on other vehicles in the past though and know that besides high torque, the only thing that kills auto's is high trans fluid temps. If trans temps get above 200F, the fluid starts to degrade, and when it doesn't lube right, then our clutches start wearing really fast!

EDIT:
Down to $75 now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-JEE...ash=item33a9e1879d:g:cwEAAOSwoudW17~T&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
EcoMike! When you plug in your elm327 deal does it only light up red? Also does it work with the jeep in the "on" position or does the jeep have to be running?

Honestly, I forget. I used it on a 96 ford and 01 saturn. My jeeps are renix era. I think green, and the engine I think needs to be running, not sure.

Engine does not need to be running. Should work KOEO or KOER

Back