• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 96 2 door build thread

Got the motor trans and t-case out the other day. Im back to working only 5 days a week now so progress should pick up a little bit im hoping.

Finally started working on the jeep again. Got the front 44 ssomewhatready for the truss. Just gotta do some grinding and cleaning and weld it on.

Finally started working on the jeep again. Got the front 44 ssomewhatready for the truss. Just gotta do some grinding and cleaning and weld it on.

I am interested in all the details you can offer on the axle swap. I am looking at doing the exact same thing.

I'm interested how it turns out for you as well. It looks like you cut of quite a bit more of the waggy spring pad casting than I did.

I decided to build my own truss and link mounts to save cash and to raise the mounts a few inches so I could keep the short arms and have a smoother ride as well. Its been a long build doing it this way but I think I will be happier with it in the end, although this way isn't for everyone.

I drilled and tapped the bottom of the old spring pad as I didn't want to weld to the casting and didn't want to cut more off the casting either.

I'm about done with it now. Just starting on the gears this weekend.

Last edited:
Power for both the four- and the six-cylinder engines was boosted for*1991. A new, multi-point fuel-injection system helped the four-banger squeeze out 130 horsepower ? an increase of nine horses over the 1990 model. And the big six now cranked out 190 horsepower, bringing the zero to 60 mph time of the Cherokee down to under nine seconds.

Trim levels were shuffled about; the Pioneer was dropped, a new Briarwood debuted, (identified by its fake woodgrain trim on the bodysides) and a four-door Sport model joined the two-door Sport.

Making life easier for the owner of a '91 Cherokee were new double-sided keys, highlighted underhood service points and an optional illuminated entry system.

From edmunds.com thought you'd find the other stuff interesting too
Shoot, couple pages behind... poor jeep

Last edited:
The truss covers the breather hole so I had to get creative. 5/16 brake line and a fitting. Good to go.

All welded up except for the lower mounts. Sweet. Thanks to my brother for doing all the welding since I am not a welder.

Last edited:
I have 4 days off so I'm getting some stuff done on the jeep. Got the old motor out and getting the donor engine ready to go in. The exhaust manifold was cracked of course so I bought a new one, and got the Brown Dogs bolted on.

Last edited:
Got some more stuff done in the last week. Got the main stiffeners welded on and bolted in the clayton 3-link crossmember. I decided to configure the crossmember for an auto tranny because i didnt like the 1 inch drop for the manual tranny configuration. It would have made the skid plate an inch lower in the front than the back.

Today we did the cut and folds, took about an hour to do both sides. Pretty easy.

I've done some more work in the last few months that I just never got around to posting up.
Got the rear 4 link crossmember and supports welded in.

I also got the rear coil buckets welded in. It was a little more difficult than it should have been since the previous owner must have jumped this think and screwed up the unibody rails right where these need to be welded in

I got a lot of stuff done in the last month, otherwise it hasn't been touched since January. Built the front 3-link which is using a mix of Clayton 3 link crossmember, TnT front truss, RuffStuff heims, and home-built 2in dom arms. The rear 4-link is almost done just gotta weld up the arms, for right now they are tack welded for mock up. The rear is using a Clayton 4-link crossmember and coil buckets, Artec rear truss, and RuffStuff heims, arms made from 2in dom. I'm using stock front XJ springs in the rear and its sitting right about where I want it. Now I just gotta pull it all apart to finish welding and slap some paint on it. Ill get better pics later

Back