• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler

crazymoose1990

NAXJA Forum User
What are you all running. My new header just showed up and I orderd a new exhaust pipe from the header to the cat. 71.00 dollars from Napa I think my cat is okay however my muffler is shot. I want something with a decent sound not loud !!!!!!!!! there is a diffrence and something that doesn't run extremly hot so my carpet won't melt any ideas.

Thanks Jason

This will be good. My muffler is pretty rock adjusted from last year. There is a crack almost all the way around the intake.

I hear you, I like the sound of a good exhaust.. but I don't want my neighbors to hate me.

I was running a flow masterbefore and they aren't really loud and they sound pretty good on them. Now I'm running a flow master wana be and it sounds pretty good to not to loud but still isn't the same sound as the flow masters though. I have always liked them and llike I said they aren't really loud on the jeeps just sound good and healthy.

cJ

How do they transfer heat is my floor board going to heat up and melt my carpet. And my next questions is this which flowmaster is it. I think they make 2 or three diffrent one's loud, medium and almost quiet. I just pulled my o2 sensor and the 2 clamp's cat and muffler or should I say let them fall apart in my hand. :)

Since yours is a late model, you should have the factory heat shield above the cat/muffler. That should help immensely with any heat transfer.

I put a Flowmaster Super 40 on mine about five years ago, and surprisingly it's still running strong. I'm impressed by the strength of it, considering how dented and gouged up it is. It's a bit mellower than the classic 40 series. If I had to do it again, I'd go with maybe a 50 series, or maybe look at another brand like Dynomax, or Magnaflow. I'd even consider going back to an OEM one. Keep it quiet.

It seems like everyone has a Flowmaster 40 on their rig, do something different. :thumbup:

That's good info Dustin is the 50 quieter. I probably will look into something else also. The stock one is to big and the metal is really thin. I do not want to spend a shit load on a muffler that is just going to get chewed up though

Personally i like thrush. They are exactly like the flowmaster mufflers. but i think they're a little more off-road worthy. they have a very throaty sound.

Glasspack. Sounds great and you can't beat the price.

I have been running a Flowmaster HushpowerII for a few years and couldn't be happier with it. It's two layers of stainless with a kevlar wrap in between. Nice and compact, and stays cool. I had a 40 on it before and it did almost set my carpet on fire. Granted, my EGTs were probably high. I was towing about 3k up a hill.

Hey...does anyone know if can beat the factory dent out of my pipe? I'm talking about the one by the exhaust manifold. I was going to replace that pipe, however the new one I picked up from Napa has more kinks than an 80 big hair band. I think the factory dented exhaust would still flow better. Has anyone done this before? Maybe heat it up and pound it out? Any pro's out there?

Last edited:
If you were going to go with Flowmaster I would go with the 50 series. Magnaflow is what I have on mine now and it isn't to bad, doesn't seem to get hot to me. I wouldn't try to beat a dent out of a pipe, your going to pretty much just move the dent around and most likely make more dents in it.

CJ

if you have a welder you could cut that spot out and replace it. or cut it out flatten it /turn it over weld it back in. cut a hole in it oppsite of the flat part and use a extention and undent the pipe then weld up the hole.

Hey...does anyone know if can beat the factory dent out of my pipe? I'm talking about the one by the exhaust manifold. I was going to replace that pipe, however the new one I picked up from Napa has more kinks than an 80 big hair band. I think the factory dented exhaust would still flow better. Has anyone done this before? Maybe heat it up and pound it out? Any pro's out there?

Purple hornies or cherribomb. Or a fartcan off that ricer honda down the street

I have a Magnaflow high flow cat and muffler, sound is awesome.

The Dynomax I put on mine only lasted about three years before rusting out and suddenly sounding like a coffee can with a half-dozen washers in it. It was one of the least expensive aftermarket mufflers at the time, I suppose you get what you pay for.

The Dynomax I put on mine only lasted about three years before rusting out and suddenly sounding like a coffee can with a half-dozen washers in it. It was one of the least expensive aftermarket mufflers at the time, I suppose you get what you pay for.
Yep, the guy who did my exhaust talked me out of the borla, flowmaster, and gibson ones, saying they won't last as long as the dynomax. He said all those others aren't made of as good of metal and with what I do they will rot in a couple years. So heeding his advice, I went with the dyno. I figured he was sincere because he was down selling me on it, usually people push the more spendy stuff as they make more. Within a year and a half, mine disintegrated right after the cat and fell off. The metal was like paper there, oh, and surprise, his shop just disappeared. Oh well, lesson learned, I now just run it open from the cat back.

I like my THRUSH it is loud but I dont care I have no nabors but the thing I like the most is I can hamer it on rocks, ruts and just about anything and it stays round doest fall off or rust out .Every time I go wheeling with my old man he has to bust out the comalong and put his muffler back on (oe-blem)ovel can sucks for the trails he likes it quite

Im running a 40 Series Flow Master knockoff with a pro-dump (a turn down off the back of the muffler). My "Kitty" has since disappeared and it really sounds good! throaty at idle but quiet at highway.

I'm running a Flowmaster 50 series. Little quiet for my taste. Sounds goood if I am idling around in 4 low, or driving with the hatch open. I wasnt going for loud, just a growl. I'd do a 40 series next.

Back