• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTR and KM2's in snow

ok. so siped correctly, tires wont chunk like you are thinking.

the km'2 were better in moderate snow and ice but in super deep stuff the kevlar were better.

on the rocks. kevlars cant be touched by the km's. the bfg's are still a great tire. but ask the guys from the trip to ram a few days ago, the kevlars bit and the km2's spun, same ledge, same day both on locked axles

street. the km2's ride better but feel a bit slushy in corners.
the kevlars a lil more stiff

if you think the kevlars dont flex you are nuts. they do.

i know you already chose a tire. but felt this was relevant info to post

Ya I had no choice but to go km2. I dident wana wate months to get the mtrs. So I'll just go with the km2. Well just see though. I think they both do great just each have there pros and cons like every tire. Well just see what happens

yup. and every person wants something different from a tire. i dont think youll be dissatisfied with the km2's

I have run the old BFG muds, Cooper SST's, Hankook Dynapro MT's, Maxxis Bighorns and now finally my MTR Kevlars. (All of them were 35's). The Kevlars are by FAR the best all around performing tire of the bunch. I live at 6200ft elevation and get about 6'-10' of snow a winter and the Kevlars do great in the snow. They are not the best I have had for snow(the Hankook Dynapro MT get that vote), but when you look at how well they perform in ice, slush, snow, mud, sand, rocks, etc. you can't find better. They perform great in all areas. For your first post that mentioned they don't balance well; that's crazy. These are some of the best balanced tires Goodyear has made. Mine took almost zero weight to get them perfect. In regards to KM2's I don't have personal driving experience with them, but my neighbor is running 35" KM2's on his locked YJ and he seems to struggle a lot more then me in deep snow, but his driving skills might also been a factor. He mentioned he would not buy them again. He had the Pro Comp X-treme muds before the KM2's and preferred them a lot more. Good luck with your decision.

if your MTR kevlars are failing on the rocks you are doing something wrong. i can assure you that

I have run the old BFG muds, Cooper SST's, Hankook Dynapro MT's, Maxxis Bighorns and now finally my MTR Kevlars. (All of them were 35's). The Kevlars are by FAR the best all around performing tire of the bunch. I live at 6200ft elevation and get about 6'-10' of snow a winter and the Kevlars do great in the snow. They are not the best I have had for snow(the Hankook Dynapro MT get that vote), but when you look at how well they perform in ice, slush, snow, mud, sand, rocks, etc. you can't find better. They perform great in all areas. For your first post that mentioned they don't balance well; that's crazy. These are some of the best balanced tires Goodyear has made. Mine took almost zero weight to get them perfect. In regards to KM2's I don't have personal driving experience with them, but my neighbor is running 35" KM2's on his locked YJ and he seems to struggle a lot more then me in deep snow, but his driving skills might also been a factor. He mentioned he would not buy them again. He had the Pro Comp X-treme muds before the KM2's and preferred them a lot more. Good luck with your decision.
That's interesting. I am running the Pro Comp Extreme MT's in 35" on my XJ and, 35" KM2's on my TJ. The Pro Comps suck in the snow compared to the KM2's. On snow runs I will run from 4 to 8lbs. air in them depending on conditions and, the Pro Comps just can't seem to hang with the BFG's. I do like the Pro Comps in the rocks. I haven't had the KM2's on the rocks yet...

Considering how cheap they are, did you like the Bighorns?

i dunno his experience. i loved em, and so did a wheeling buddy. we both only ever ran em in a 33, but they were super tough. traction is on par with the km2. better than closely priced tires tho

(Warning: this post is solely intended as a means of voicing my severe distaste for the looks of the newer MTR's)

This should be easy...

New MTR's =ugly as sin!:puke: Do not buy these!

KM2's= sexiest tire out there!;) Buy these!

Nothing like someone else's opinion based purely on aesthetics huh? But come on they ruined the look of the MTR!

Mine have been great, too. I currently have 35k on them and i expect they'll go another 10k before i replace them. I can't comment on the hardcore wheeling stuff but they've never slowed down through anything i've thrown at them.

after seeing your tires fail in the rocks and in the snow... I will never buy them!

I don't think they really "failed" in the rocks. They do fine, but I was expecting more.

I'm running KM2 33x12.50s and have had them through snow, mud, rock, and sand. I have yet to get stuck because of my tires. I love my KM2s and I'm not sure who thinks they are noisy cause I can only hear mine if I'm listening for it. I'm sure the MTR's are a good tire, but I don't see what the big hype is about them.

Perfectly stated. x2 on that.

In reality, there are too many variables for the forum to give an adequate rating and both KM2 and Kevlar are amazing treads. You need a qualified and unbiased tire shootout to determine the real winner, and I'm not talking about a comparison of tires by a sponsor-paid off-road magazine or TV show. That being said, go with 200k XJ's advice and buy the sexier tire...which is the KM2 by far. :)

Last edited:
I think the question should be how they handle in light snow. Deep snow is too much like mud to be a meaningful conversation. I personally think that my KM2's handle just about as well as my AT's did in light snow. I had the center lugs siped. They haven't chunked yet, but I haven't been on rocky terrain since I bought them last year. I drive them daily in wet conditions and they do fine. I do spin my tires accelerating out of a turn in the rain, but I assume that would happen in MTR's as well.

Back