• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MPG compartively?

it wouldnt really be newer so much as different, but the problem you would have then is *extreme* load on your driveshafts. You'd be putting 50%+ more torque them, adn they woudln't hold up.

Samurai guys have that problem, they do transfercases with like 8:1 low range and 20% reduction high range.. but then they gear up driveshafts and mounts.

Also, our driveshafts are too short for tall lifts as it is, so adding anything else inline would drastically hinder lifting your jeep to fit any tire warranting a regear.

Also, it would just be stupid. ;)

I learned that the hard way... After we flipped the t-case upside down about 4 times we finally regeared the axles. lol

it wouldnt really be newer so much as different, but the problem you would have then is *extreme* load on your driveshafts. You'd be putting 50%+ more torque them, adn they woudln't hold up.

Samurai guys have that problem, they do transfercases with like 8:1 low range and 20% reduction high range.. but then they gear up driveshafts and mounts.

Also, our driveshafts are too short for tall lifts as it is, so adding anything else inline would drastically hinder lifting your jeep to fit any tire warranting a regear.

Also, it would just be stupid. ;)

what t case do you run ? I would like to be able to justify not being able to afford an atlas and feel better about running a 231 SYE setup...

I daily drive my stock engine, auto trans. 98 XJ here in sunny FL. The gears are stock 3.55s and I average 13 mpg with 31's and the A/C blasting. I can get 14 in the winter with no A/C. That is with lockers and a 4" lift.

Atlas 3.8's in everything.

I'd like to change the racecar out for a 3.0 though.

OK that helps my decision making process now. Thanks Cal. I have been on the fence for a long while. I have been leaning towards the 3.0 or the 3.8 these days myself for the crawler . At first I wanted an atlas to go super low with a 4 speed, but now I realize just want a slight reduction but mostly an increase in strength and reliability. I would consider a 4 speed if it was 1.5, 3.0 , 4.5. use the 1.5 for 2 lo stuff.

Last edited:
I'm super pleased with the 3.8 in big bird, which is very similar to your rig.

We want the 3.0 in the race car because we're running on 33's and 35's depending on course, but run up to 6500 RPM in low range 4th a lot.

wow those are very high RPMS! Ya I will probably go with the 3.8 then.

Back