• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mowing Lawns

Should you mow the neighbor's lawn?

• Total voters
My neighbor decided to cut my lawn a few years back. So after he finished his yard, he came over and started on mine. Problem was, his yard is Bermuda and mine is a taller fescue. So he made it about 1 mower length into my yard, where the engine stalled because he scalped the yard down to bare dirt.
He just quietly backed up and went home without saying a word.
I wouldn't have believed it, except I watched the whole thing from my front window. His facial expression still makes me laugh my ass off.
Steve's a good neighbor, just not the smartest one. Haha.

Sounds more like friendly reminder to mow his lawn than a slap in the face for being lazy.

Phil, next time just mow your name into the grass and leave it. :roflmao:

Well, in my particular current situation, nearly a year ago now, I was home in the middle of a weekday and a guy from a bank came by and asked if the neighbors still lived there. I assumed that meant they decided to stop paying the mortgage. :rolleyes: Since that time, the husband appears to have moved out.

I'm kind of surprised how many people wouldn't just go mow to be nice though, especially when you have a good relationship with the neighbor. My dad taught me to mow the neighbor's lawn when mowing grandma's, just to help out.

If I really wanted to be rude, I'd go in to their back yard with my weedeater because I think they're sending weed seeds into my back yard, but I've managed to resist so far.

In that case, I'd knock on the door/leave a note and ask if they'd mind if you knocked it down. If they're long gone, however, nuke it with Round Up or Sahara or something like that. If they're still there and don't want you to cut it, I wouldn't fool with it; let code enforcement deal with it.

If I caught someone mowing my lawn I'd bust em in the chops without hesitation. And I'd never mow another man's lawn unless I didn't have my own lawn to mow and I had his permission to mow his. I have heard of people watching someone else mow their lawn but that just seems weird to me.

Not only is it disrespectful, it can potentially be hazardous to the health of your own lawn. Once neglected, the risk of disease dramatically increases. Just to be safe, you should ask your neighbor if he knows of a fungus on his lawn. Your mower could be contaminated and it's not like you can just rinse it off and be safe from transmission.

You ever see that movie Lawn Mower Man? He was a retard that really hot chicks wanted to have sex with . . . I am now going to cut the lawn of every house on my street!

Not only is it disrespectful, it can potentially be hazardous to the health of your own lawn. Once neglected, the risk of disease dramatically increases. Just to be safe, you should ask your neighbor if he knows of a fungus on his lawn. Your mower could be contaminated and it's not like you can just rinse it off and be safe from transmission.

I believe there are some "educational" films about this.

LOL, i'm sitting here watching MONK, man this hits the funny bone.:D

Sorry for the long rant / story.. but it's kinda related. You may find this information useful some day...

I live in weird neighborhood... not like the area I grew up, everyone was like family and would help each other out. We didn't need to ask to mow the neighbor’s yard and everyone was friendly. The only reason I stay where I'm at today is because I have a Prop 13 tax base.. and I own the house.

Anyway, I've had this ongoing contempt for two neighbors, one in the back, the other next to me... and it all started when I hired a contractor to build a block wall fence... I presented plans, sought out their approval, etc. To make a very long story short, I flipped the bill to have a $6K wall built, with a used brick cap. The two neighbors in question screwed me and therefore I decided to play hardball.

So the neighbor behind me said "I like my old wood fence" and wouldn't agree to anything, even if I paid for it... then, one year later he tore down his ugly old wood fence after I built my block wall. I was forced to build 1 foot inside my property line because he wouldn't agree to remove the wood fence so I could build on the line... he did this primarily to gain 1 foot more property. I told the old fool up front I wasn't going to finishing the grout, so the fence looked like shit on his side... he didn't see it until he remove that ugly old wooden fence, which he originally built without authorization. Many years prior, he tore down the original grape stake fence and gave me the bad side upon reinstallation. The deed was done while I was at work.

So after he removed the wood fence he built, he decides to plant multiple Morning Glory plants on his side and those damn things grew 1/2 foot each day and then would die during the winter.. looked like crap and I was out there every week trimming that shit.

Anyway, I caught him up on a ladder trimming one day so I went out in the back and we exchanged words... I basically told the old fart to remove everything off my property; he can't plant anything or touch my fence. He actually called me lazy... so I issued some choice words and he almost fell off the ladder. Shortly thereafter, he actually built a new wooden fence so he didn't have to look at my crusty block wall - what a fool. I just pour real strong weed killer between the fences to keep anything from growing there. I can do that because it's my property.

The guy on the right never paid me $750 for the fence... he agreed to share costs, so now I won't allow him to build a gate or attach anything to this nice block wall.. since I own the fence. If he attempts to build or attach anything I'm sending him a monthly bill for the use of my fence. And then take him to small claims to collect.

I hate these two guys, stupid shits... in general it's a quiet neighborhood and they leave me alone. After I retire in a few years, I'm renting the property and using it for income. Dumb ass neighbor will never own a gate... if he tries, he'll receive a letter.

In five years I envision flipping them both the bird as I leave for paradise.

There's no way in hell I'd mow my neighbors lawn.

If it bugged me that much, I'd have my gardener mow it. :D

Funny reading the "disrespect" posts. If any respect was involved or due, they'd have mowed the damn lawn already.

My neighbor has people mow her lawn for her and I can't stand it when the people she has do it cut into my yard. Everyone in this city mows their grass short as crap and mow mine tall.

I dig apartment living for this reason.

My neighbors are young guys who like to get a little loud on occasion with their buddies. Haven't had any problems since I started sharing my homebrew beer and asked 'em to shush a bit. ;)

If I caught someone mowing my lawn I'd bust em in the chops without hesitation. And I'd never mow another man's lawn unless I didn't have my own lawn to mow and I had his permission to mow his. I have heard of people watching someone else mow their lawn but that just seems weird to me.

I have lived in an apartment for many years. Sadly, I have no lawn to mow after my divorce. I started mowing a friends lawn, but he got a little sensitive about it and started mowing it before I could do it for him. I got pissed and don't talk to him much now that I got cut off.

Hopefully soon I will have a full time lawn to mow, not just random yards from time to time with no real commitment.

I say mow your neighbors yard as much as possible.

Hmm. I see your point. I guess mowing is probably the most enjoyable part of having a lawn anyways. My yard is extremely hard to maintain and it seems like its more expensive to keep up every year. I know a some guys at work got rid of their old lawns and started over, but I think they spent almost 1/2 of what their houses cost! My lawn's looking pretty good for it's age, so I think I'll try to keep maintaining it the best I can.

Back