• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to SNOW......What Tires

I live in Alaska, and drove up the Alcan during the winter time using BFG AT's. I was driving 80mph when coming up the Alcan without a single problem. This is what I drove on the entire way up here.

the pic isn't working, this is the address

asjackman.netfirms.com/trippics/DSC00049.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

Last edited:
Go with the BFG A/T KO's. It's a legal snow tire. They are designed for the snow. I also put on tires for a living and that's all we'll sell to people wanting a good tire for all year round. I live close enough to the rockies to not to mess with them.

PlainWhiteXJ said:
Short story is snow tires (Blizzak?) were the best
Real snow tires are one thing, but the Blizzak is an "Ice" tire. The thin tread would leave you spinning in deep snow.

I ran BFG AT/KO's (32x11.50) on my old YJ and went through one hell of a blizzard last year from Baltimore to Washington DC to work. Those tires had great traction and stopping ability in the snow.

Years ago I had a set of Dunlop Radial Rover RV's on a Toyota 4x4 pickup. THey were every bit as good as the BFG's (traction not treadwear), but they quit making them this year.

I am a little leary of how my MTR's will do this winter on my XJ. Only one way to find out!!!

bgcntry72 said:
On the couple of seep snow runs I was on last year, the guys on TRXUS MTs were all but unstoppable.
I rode with one of the guys on an icy road, and it was better than any MT I have ever experienced.
My .02.

I have to agree....:agree:......hands down the best snow and ice tire I have ever had the chance to drive. And I have driven on pretty much everything out there as far as tires goes:D. They are equal if not better than the BFG AT/KO's plus their cheaper :thumbup: . Although, you should see some of the tire guys faces when they go to balance them :roll:. Comical to say the least :shocked:

I'll put a plug in for COOPER ST's.Dont see them used much,but I've had them for a year now.I go wherever, whenever I want,ice, snow but they arent no street tire.You gotta like the howl they give on pavement too.My use is mostly around town, but when in mountains and winter driving they never failed me.

AT KOs. Great tire in the snow. Went thru snow up to my headlights with 6" of lift. Pulled my friends CJ on 38 SX's from a snow bank AND the Samarai that was attached to his rear bumper. With a limited slip. Ran a bunch of AZ trails and JV with the same 35 ATs. Like those tires. Not strong enough sidewalls for the junk I do, but I would do those again. Wife said that the Pirelli Scorp ATs did well in snow last year, i wasn't there so I cannot say.

SeanP

Im from Washington State. On my last two rigs I used 33" Yokohama Geolandar AT's.... very very nice tire to run during winter. Ran great in snow and on icy roads. I was very pleased with them. I have also used other brands over the years... these by far were a very good buy. They also ran great in the rain.. and it rains allot here... State bird is a fish ya know....

I own a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1's studded on my wifes car. This is by far the best snow tire I have ever used in my 20 years of driving. They wear very well... used the same tires over three seasons... this year I decided to pull all the studs and run them during the spring and summer and get a newer set of Haka 2's studded. The old haka 1's are still working with plenty of tread life and the temps have been well over 100 on a daily basis. I am thinking of trying a set of the Nokian's on my XJ this winter too.

Hey i have the same question about this winter living in indiana get our fair share of snow also do a lot of deer hunting was wondering out the trxus sts a/t's myself any one with any experience on these tires sorry dont mean to steal your thread,any info is helpfull

First off, don't panic about it. If you are staying on the road, they will be plowed quickly, and most people just run all season tires. The sun is so strong out here that stuff melts quickly on the roads. Where I would focus is getting caught in a storm and retaining good performance.

I don't know where you will live, but in Colorado, where powder tends to turn into hardpack in about 2 minutes, I think the BFG AT ko's are nothing more than acceptable, and they suck in deep snow. They aren't a bad tire, but in my experience the "best tire ever" label is way, way overblown. They are really good in comparison to a BFG MT, but BFG MT's that aren't siped are awful on hardpack and more or less just create a sledding experience.

You have to realize that the BFG AT is an all season tire compound with decently aggressive lug spacing. All season compounds suffer in very cold temps (they start to freeze), which is the necessary tradeoff to hot weather usage. The interlocking center tread clogs easily and has no channeling to speak of, and it is designed for tread stability, not snow performance. Take a look at the Dunlop Dueler RT to see what the BFG AT might look like if it were designed for snow performance.

If you are just going to be staying on the road, then you should get a pure snow tire. Nokkian Hakka Q's are excellent, and you will find that an awful lot of people run them in the Northeast and in the Rockies. Nobody else has ever heard of Nokkian. The Bridgestones are excellent performers, but they are poor in comparison on dry pavement.

You will not find any performance snow tire that has anything even closely resembling an interlocking tread. The latest models of these tires usually have an arrowhead center design with channelling outflow towards more aggressively spaced shoulder lugs. This is your balance between forward traction and lateral traction. The BFG AT will do reasonably well in forward traction, but in my experience, the lack of predictable lateral traction is this tire's major weakness aside from a lack of ability in the deep stuff. Braking performance isn't stellar, either.

The new breed of "studless" snow tires use a microcell compound that acts like a sponge to suck water off of ice, plus they have tons of siping. The compounds do not freeze at extreme temparatures, unlike an all terrain or all season (or MT's). These tires empirically perform near the level of studded snows. The truck sizes have quite a bit of lug spacing and with 4wd will handle full range of road snow in every area (forward/lateral/braking). If I was looking at driving in a storm at 15 degrees below zero on steep grades with fatal dropoffs, I gotta tell you, the BFG AT wouldn't even be on my list.

All you need to do is look at what tires are used in snow racing. The Bridgestones and Nokkians will be at the top. You will never see a BFG AT or anything like it, and there is a reason for this. And so for road use, I would simply ignore the idea that the compound and tread design of the BFG AT can even begin to compete with the microcell compound and siping of a studless snow. As I think of it, the Bridgestone Winter Dueler would probably be an exceptional tire for the XJ. Just remember that these tires have to come off in the summer.

Now I run trxus MT's, as everybody should know by now, and they absolutely smoke the BFG AT's in every snow category. I used to drive around with white knuckles on the BFG's, and the trxus are so good I get myself in trouble from time to time. They are so good when I put them on my XJ that I got rid of the Bridgestone all seasons on my AWD Subaru, which could not keep up in any category, and replaced them with Nokkian WR's. Now I can't compare them to say the Nokkians, because a car size vs. a big offroad size isn't a good comparison (neither is Old Man telling you that his massive 35x12.5 AT's, which have more lug spacing than a 31" MT, will work just as well in 235 size, which they won't).

The trxus grip on hardpack due to the center lug design with siping (I think this siping is far more effective on snow than the very limited siping of the BFG AT). They self clean the deep stuff, and they have far better lateral traction than the BFG AT ko's, which, IMO, is the most critical element of snow driving as it can be the least predictable. For combined road and trail use in the winter in the Rockies, I would not run any other tire. I've been stuck with 33" AT's just pulling into a camping spot with 10" of heavy snow, which is pathetic.

I'd still take a Winter Dueler or Hakka Q for pure road use any day of the week.

Your mileage may, of course, vary. But I doubt it.

Nay

Twisted Copper said:
I am a little leary of how my MTR's will do this winter on my XJ. Only one way to find out!!!

MT/Rs are good in the snow as well. Don't worry about it. They tend to dig in the deep stuff if you don't air down but otherwise they work well.

Lots of good inputs from everyone - I would also suggest thinking about what type of driving you'll be doing, and on shat type surface. (On vs Off road, ice vs deep powder, etc)

My opinion is that for icy roads/hard surfaces, it's hard to beat a dedicated snow tire. Not sure what your state laws are in CO, but here Anchorage Alaska there is always much debate on studded vs no stud winter tires.

I use non studded Blizzaks (Bridgestone SUV equivilant) on a Land Rover up here and they work great. I use studded tires on my 90XJ, and they too work great. My all terrain tires are like ice skates on icy roads.

Not sure what the best tires would be for off roading in the deep snow.

have fun & good luck

I have to agree with NAY once again about Trxus tires. I have run both also, and although BFG AT's are great in snow, the Trxus' are far superior.

This last season I ran bridgestones snow tires on the mercedes and had the Haka 1's in their third season on the Jetta TDI.... there were plenty of times the mercedes stayed in the driveway because it would not move... our experience with the Nokian tires has been nothing but excelent. When we needed to get to a horse ranch and the road turned to dirt/slushy mudd/snow/ice with very very little gravel for traction... the Haka 1's went thru with no issues. Some fullsized 4x4's wouldnt even try the back of the hill to get to the stables... one of them was sliding... we went up the incline without even thinking twice.. even after we were warned not to try it.

I think I remember something about Bridgestone buying into Nokian so they could get some of the Nokian technology for winter tires. And Bridgestone was going to give them some tech on summer tires. But I do know this.... You will not ever go wrong buying Nokian studded snow tires.

I keep a separate set of summer tires/wheels (BFG MT KM's), and use the BFG AT KO's only in the winter for mountain highway driving. I still get off-road with the AT's occasionally, as I don't always have time to change over.

I've run the Pirelli Scorpion AT's as my "snow tires". They're better than the BFG AT KO's on highway snow. They're also better on the highway, period. Pirelli makes dedicated snow tires that will outperform the AT's.

I've run Bridgestone Blizzak's in past years and they are an excellent highway snow tire. The soft, foam-cell tread sticks to the ice like no other tire I've used, but they don't last very long (2 winter seasons and they need replacement - part of this is due to the west coast temperate climate, where you end up driving on wet highways for 60 miles before you hit winter conditions).

If you're not going to be taking your winter tires off-road, then having a set of dedicated "winters" is worthwhile. If you're going to be demanding performance of your tires on pavement and non-snowy roads, then go with an AT that touts itself as capable as a winter tire. Nay's comments about the tread design of the BFG are bang on. Wet (west coast torrential wet!) pavement and the BFG AT don't go together all that well - but they perform relatively well across the the spectrum of what I demand of a tire, so are a decent "compromise" tire IMO.

(Vancouver, BC - with multiple annual "sled" trips into the interior)

Wow...lots of advice there! I've lived in Colorado and Montana (places with lots of snow). From my experience, BFG AT's are great in the snow...BUT if you're talking highway snow (the packed-almost-to-ice stuff), something with a smaller tread pattern will out-perform the AT's. While the 4WD will keep you going, the smaller treat pattern will help with cornering and stopping.

Trust me, I've been there!

Since most of us can't afford big AT's and something else and run each seasonally...stick with the AT's and be careful. If you've got the money to burn, go with a studded snow tire for winter! Can't beat studs for icy packed highway snow!

Hey whats up Flyfisher. Your in the Magic City club right? I think my dad(Mike G.) mentioned your XJ the other day. He thought it was pretty neat.

As for snow tires I like my Parnelli's over the BFG AT's but the smallest size they make are 32's so....

Back