• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor problems-----help needed

Just a shot in the dark, but on another site there was a rash of pump problems in the 95-96 (I think or maybe it was 96-97) year XJ´s, turned out to be the pick up line for the pump rotting, when the tank got below a certain level the pick up sucked some air. Have heard of a few guys with earlier models, have chunks of rubber in the filter along with the normal junk.
I haven´t had the pump out of any late model XJ´s, so I can´t say for sure if it´s possible to have a hole in the pick up line or not, but maybe something to think about.

8Mud said:
Just a shot in the dark, but on another site there was a rash of pump problems in the 95-96 (I think or maybe it was 96-97) year XJ´s, turned out to be the pick up line for the pump rotting, when the tank got below a certain level the pick up sucked some air. Have heard of a few guys with earlier models, have chunks of rubber in the filter along with the normal junk.
I haven´t had the pump out of any late model XJ´s, so I can´t say for sure if it´s possible to have a hole in the pick up line or not, but maybe something to think about.

well ive been thinking that there is something wrong with my pump. when i changed the filter i didnt get any chunks of anything coming out but the filter was clogged. i think pretty soon im just going to have to replace it.

I had the same problem for a while too, just after I put plates on and such. It liked to bog under acceleration and on turns. Funny though that all I had to do is drive it for a while and it cleared up on its own.

But from that experience I'm guessing it has to be the fuel filter/pump. I can't see anything else that can be the case because the problem becomes aggrevated from driver input.

If its carburated then yeah, the fuel is not reaching the bowls.

fluidmotion said:
not to knock what you said but why would that cause the problem when im turning and not even on the gas.
i don't know why, except that something was loose inside. i had to wiggle or tap the connector end sometimes to start. i replaced the connector, no change. i replaced the sensor, no more coaxing it into starting, or trying to cut off while driving. yeah, i couldn't understand it either....

xuv-this said:
i don't know why, except that something was loose inside. i had to wiggle or tap the connector end sometimes to start. i replaced the connector, no change. i replaced the sensor, no more coaxing it into starting, or trying to cut off while driving. yeah, i couldn't understand it either....

well i will check into it then. it just doesnt make sense why it would do it on turns as well. it fires up every time too.

oh and John(XJ)Jeep, my jeep is fuel injected

It seems you still haven't changed your CPS yet. I don't know what you're waiting for. Even if I'm wrong, you will have at least eliminated that as a cause of your problem. It's 13 years old so it'll be near the end of its life anyway and if I'm right, it's already got one foot in the grave.

i got a new cps too, to troubleshoot my problem. changing it didn't do anything, but i keep it onboard with my toolkit all the time, just in case. i would consider it $85 well spent.

xuv-this said:
i got a new cps too, to troubleshoot my problem. changing it didn't do anything, but i keep it onboard with my toolkit all the time, just in case. i would consider it $85 well spent.

well in that case i dont have the money for it right now either. damn it i need a job

fluidmotion said:
well in that case i dont have the money for it right now either. damn it i need a job

I already told you where you can get a CPS for $38.50. Have you forgotten already? That's a whole lot better than $85.

oh i know, but im prolly gonna do the CPS, TPS, O2 sensor (because its on the fritz) and fuel pump all in one because they are all stock and havent been changed. so i need some money for all that.

Back