• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mounts Galore

JeepinCoastie

NAXJA Forum User
so I think my one motor mount is on its way out ... so In the future I will need to replace these ... and why replace when you can UPGRADE...

sooo... I figured I'd do a Little Write Up ...

I've come across 3 Big Players in the Motor Mount Arena ...

1. M.O.R.E. BombProof MM
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/BombProof%20MM/XJmounts.html
Bomb_Proof_Motor_Mounts_std1.jpg

This mount is IDEAL for XJ Cherokee owners where the unitized body is known for transmitting vibration from the engine (with polyurethane style motor mounts). This "Torsion" Rubber style mount will clamp the engine in place far better then the stock junk mounts do, however, they will not transmit vibration like polyurethane mounts do!
Also Available from them are their BombProof Block Brackets which is a nice upgrade
The factory block brackets are retained w/ 3 bolts, We have seen many cases where the bolts come loose or break causing the engine to fall. Sometimes this will also damage the block ( Threaded Bosses ) . We have come up with a replacement bracket that will bolt on using 7-8 existing threaded holes on the side of the block.
Other Models ....

TJ's Mounts and Brackets
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/BombProof%20MM/TJmounts.html
YJ's Mounts and Brackets
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/BombProof%20MM/YJmounts.html
CJ's Mounts and Brackets
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catalog/BombProof%20MM/CJmounts.html

All of the Above can be ordered either Bare steel no paint or Gold Zink plated

2. Currie Enterprises HEAVY DUTY STOCK HEIGHT MOTOR MOUNTS
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1180
ce9201.jpg

Description: Currie's heavy duty motor mounts fit all years of Jeep YJ, TJ, LJ, XJ, and MJ vehicles with the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine. These specially designed motor mounts directly replace the stock OEM part. Features include super heavy duty construction with large diameter urethane bushings to absorb vibration. All mounting hardware is included. Semi-gloss black powder coat finish.
also available as 1" RAISED MOTOR MOUNTS
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1063
Description: Currie 1" lifted motor mounts fit 1987-2006 Jeep TJ/LJ/YJ vehicles equipped with the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine.These specially designed motor mounts lift the front of the engine one inch which produces a reduced driveline angle on lifted vehicles. The 1" motor mounts also lift engine fan allowing it line up with radiator shroud properly when the Wrangler 1" body lift kit is installed. Super heavy duty construction with large diameter urethane bushings to absorb vibration. All mounting hardware is included. Semi-gloss black powder coat finish.

3. Brown Dog Industries
http://browndogindustries.com/
C25720800x600.jpg

When riding offroad, the Brown Dog demands the more secure feeling he gets with Brown Dog Offroad high performance motor mounts (MM) under the hood of his Jeep Wrangler YJ. Why? Because he doesn't want a sagging Jeep engine miles from civilization.

That's why Brown Dog Offroad engineered motor mounts to take the abuse of extreme trails. Just be sure to inspect your engine brackets for cracks before installing our mounts. Or, just to be safe, upgrade engine brackets while you upgrade mounts and save a bit by ordering a kit. A busted engine bracket will stop your Jeep in your tracks. After all, it was a busted bracket that started Brown Dog Offroad.

Select Ultra-Flex Rubber or Classic Polyurethane bushings. Or put our proprietary Ultra-Flex Rubber motor mounts on your daily driver and Classic Polyurethane motor mount lifts on the trail rig. Not sure which is best for your situation? Compare rubber and polyurethane here.

Every joint double-welded - If a joint doesn't hold, the Brown Dog will replace it. No charge. And, if you happen to break the plate steel, we'll congratulate you for doing something no one else has done. We'll also want to see action photos because it must have been amazing. While you're sending photos, your replacement Brown Dog mounts will be on the way.

We believe less engine vibration is transmitted when Brown Dog motor mounts (MM) or motor mount lifts (MML) are carefully installed according to instructions (including torque and tightening specifications). And no, we're not going to let others know how we do it. Except to say, it's in the Brown Dog design.

Why select Brown Dog Offroad?

*Built for high performance: More steel. Better welds. Attention to detail. Grade 8 or 10.9 Metric hardware.
* Extreme testing: Stands up to tough torsional stresses experienced on Arizona's most brutal trails. 20-Ton Press Test assures structural integrity.
*Customer Service: Extended technical service. Free 2-3 day shipping to any USA or military (APO/FPO) address. Backed by the Brown Dog Promise.

Our bottom line: we want you to tell your Jeepin friends about us so they can offroad with a more secure feeling, too.
They Have the largest Verity I have seen ...
-Stock Height, 1"MML, an 2" MML
-Classic Polyurethane Bushings or Ultra-Flex Rubber
-Both Upgrade Brackets most applications and "Super" Upgrade Brackets for 4.0 motor

feel free to add more info ...

I did the MORE mounts when I installed an APN headder. Install was easy. After the install, I did notice more vibration transmitted into the cargo compartment. It took about a day to get used to, now I dont notice it. The engine is held firmly in place now.

I made my own along the lines of the MORE ones. The more ones are really well built and are rubber the amount of vibration i now experience makes me glad I didnt go with poly bushing. I used the lower control arm bushings.

John

it's been about a year since i installed my MORE mounts, about 15,000miles worth on them i estimate.

a good friend of mine installed his browndog mounts roughly the time as me.

both of us noticed cabin vibrations, his are more present. both of us are completely satisfied.

Supposedly the MORE mounts are closest to stock as far as vibrations go? I wouldn't know personally, but brown dogs supposedly make you feel like you're a blender... haha...

you forgot about Energy.

It depends on the use of the vehicle. I don't mind the vibs and appreciate the motor staying in place well, so I prefer the poly. If it is more of a DD then you should go with rubber.

pleased with my more mounts, vibes for the first couple hunded miles

been more than happy with 2 sets of Brown Dog mounts. I am however upgrading my poly mounts on the street driven rig to the rubber mounts. A/C at idle is a little noisy. how can you go wrong with beefy mounts like that for half the price of the M.O.R.E. mounts?

I already know what mounts I'm going with ... I was more or less throwing this out there for Info ...
the next time some one types Motor Mounts into search it wont be that hard to find all this info ...

Installed the rubber MORE motor mounts almost 6 years ago...
Very impressed with their performance and have shown no signs of age...
The vibrations are slightly more than stock, but have decreased from when they were first installed....
You get used to the vibrations which are not an issue; since I want to ensure the engine doesnt move around while flexing or bouncing around on the trail....

im going with the browndog ,just ordered to day ill let you know how they work out !! i went with them beacouse they are a local company and im getting them to marrow !! that and they have a good track record !!

im going with the browndog ,just ordered to day ill let you know how they work out !! i went with them beacouse they are a local company and im getting them to marrow !! that and they have a good track record !!

When I do mine, Im going with browndog as well because they are local as the big deal breaker. They all look well made and any should be a great buy.

When I had Brown Dogs, I had to slightly grind the bushing lips to get them to fit into the block brackets. It was not a big issue to me and only took a couple of minutes on the bench grinder, but thought I'd throw that info out for everyone. I know it would have been a pain if I did not have all the proper tools at the time of installation.

If you are going to replace the brackets, the Brown Dog are same size as stock but better designed, and they are sold with a set of mounts. The MORE engine brackets are huge and according to their site they can be incompatible with aftermarket headers. Brown Dog also has oversized brackets (separate from the regular ones) which probably have the same problem.

I just got finished installing the drivers side brown dog mount on my 91. The mount is NICE, but I did have to remove some of the polyurethane from the flange part of the bushing. I ended up taking the die grinder to the poly and just griding it at an angle so it wouldn't hit the lip of the mount bracket. The flange part of the poly hit the lip before it would line up for the cross bolt. Not a huge deal. Other than that, the install was a piece of cake. I notice a little more vibes, but nothing too bad. Passenger bracket doesn't look like it has that lip, so that mount will go in tomorrow. The craftsmanship is excellent and I'd buy a set again.

Last edited:
I installed a set of MORE's on Phil's green junk... It was a huge difference...

I bought a set for my self... and they are sitting in the spare parts box waiting to be installed - just havent had the time...

stupid wheeling keeps getting in the way of wrenching on junk...:gee:

I just got my brown dog mounts delivered to day, there frikn heavy!! Best part they were delivered by Tim him self!! Super cool guy and his wife I think, who both defiantly know there way around a jeep.
i went with the ruber mounts and engin/motor mount combo ! ill post up some pics when i can ! BTW when ordering you need to tell them if you have a header or not beacouse its a differnt mount for clearance!

I did the M.O.R.E. polyurethane ones on mine, I dunno if they even offer them anymore. I love the torque management of the poly.

My XJ runs very smoothly so I don't really notice any vibrations. :D

The Interco Squares underneath it certainly contribute more in that department...

Back