• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor grenaded today

Blaine B. said:
19k without an oil change???? wtf?
X2

It's amazing it went as long as it did.

Try THAT with any other (insert make of choice here) engine. Running any make or type of engine for 19k without an oil change is surely asking for it.

Despite the failure mine had, I'm fairly certain it got neglected or abused at some time in it's life. If it was a manufacturing defect, mine would have never made it to 191k like it did.

In my case (buying something used with 190k on it), it was surely a roll of the dice.

eeeeewwwww.... There needs to be a disclaimer on this thread..."not for those with weak stomaches".

Sorry that it happened, but 191K on any motor is still pretty damn good.....

While on the topic of 19K on an oil change, i'll never forget the day my mom got her Liberty. Me and her were standing outside waiting for them to finish cleaning it up for us and here comes a 2000 model Dakota (V6 if I remember correctly). Well they were quite busy in the shop at the moment, so they un hooked it off the tow truck outside and brought one of the service advisors out. The guy had it towed in because the engine quit running. The guy said "the oil light came on, and then it died." (turns out the oil pump quit working). I saw the advisor go to grab the dip stick and couldn't get it off with one hand. After using two hands he got it out and I remember him yelling "my god!", then he ran inside and got all the mechanics and brought everybody out, and while he was getting them I snuck over to have a look. They spun the filter off, and the oil was THICKER than TAR. I've never seen anything like it in my life.

The truck had 30K on it. Guy bought it brand new, and NEVER changed the oil. Needless to say the engine was toast

I suppose warranty wouldn't be granted on that since he didn't even follow the minimum service requirements? I suppose it had some sort of a 3 year 30k mile warranty....

Blaine B. said:
I suppose warranty wouldn't be granted on that since he didn't even follow the minimum service requirements? I suppose it had some sort of a 3 year 30k mile warranty....
That is pretty ridiculous. There isn't any engine made in the world that can tolerate that kind of neglect.

What many people fail to realize is that oil degrades over time and becomes highly acidic from combustion byproducts, -which can take a serious toll on the parts inside.

Diesels suffer less from the acid phenomena, but (on the flip side) have to deal with soot and carbon.

Keeping the oil changed out at regular intervals is waaay more important than the type or brand of oil or filter used.

It's a shame to hear that some people are actually putting that many miles on their oil.

Hopefully the idiot had his warranty (if he was seeking one) denied.

Unbelievable........

I'm almost positive they denied him warranty work. We were pulling away right as they began that topic, and I saw the owner of the truck get very angry all of a sudden...:D

me and my mother once had this conversation
mother-what are you doing
me-oil change
mother-why? you already did it this year

a classmate of mine ran his renix without oil for about half a mile without catostrophic failure (did run like an absolute dog after though) and i have run mine with little to no oil for very short periods of time (damn the oil filter adaptor seals). the 4.0 is a strong motor, its been the best engine i have ever worked on in terms of reliability and ease of labor

Back