• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More 8.8 ?'s

cherokeefan_1

NAXJA Forum User
I wore out(not completely broke) my D35. I have a xj D44 housing with caps. Since it needs everything I was thinking of just going with the 8.8 and an Eaton posi. This is a daily driver type jeep, like 95% street/tow and 5% off road. Before I get flamed I am going Eaton over any type of locker because it's what I use in my muscle cars and know how to make it work good and is 100% predictable in the snow, at least for me. Now my question are, I want to get rid of the c-clips and go 9" ends. Once again before I get flamed. C-clip type axles are hard on carrier bearings (side loading) and also hard on spider gears and the clutch packs of the posi (side loading). I'd also like to maintain the factory track width for stability while towing my utility trailer or 20 ft boat. Vehicles track better on rutted roads if the front/rear track widths are closer. I know I will need custom axles. Thinking Moser.

My question is are any 9" ends capable of giving me a factory xj width? I can't find any 100% positive proof of the width per side difference between xj and 8.8 explorer axles. Some say 5/8" some say more. I'd also like to use the 8.8 brakes or modify my GC discs I have now. Whatever is easier. Or I can just go with the D44 with a Jana kit for better ring/pinion and truss the axle to make it a little stronger and maybe somewhat comparable to the 8.8. Either way I go I will take it to work and weld (correctly) the diff to tubes and the truss. I will only truss if I go with the D44 as the tubes are tiny.

I would like some feed back from those on this site. Thanks.

According to the ranger station. (Naxja for rangers and exploders and bronco 2) the exp 8.8 is 59.5". The Xj axle is 60.5. I believe the exp brakes and GC brakes are the same.
C clips eliminates I believe will widen the track width the required amount to even up if nessesay. Most people can't even tell the difference in track widths. It's only a problem with wide tires at factory backspacing @5". You could possible use truck 8.8 axle bearings. It's the same ring and pinion as the exp but I think they have a bigger bearing. The truck runs 5*5.5 spacing.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to run C-clip eliminators as they use much weaker ball bearings usually. The tapered rollers are way stronger, hence the 9" ends. Plus eliminators always leak or seep oil it seems. If it's really only 1" narrower I can use longer studs and spacers but honestly only 1/2" I might not worry about it. That said, does anyone know if going with 9" ends measured to the same distance as the stock 8.8 ends will keep the same WMS to WMS width? So if the the 9" ends are installed to keep the same axle housing width. If so then I could just order 9" axles cut to exploder width.

Ohh, and I'm only on 31's with 3" or so lift and not really planning larger unless I have to go to 16's when I go with the GC front brake upgrade. Then I will do 265/75/16's. This is really my daily driver. It's got 370k miles and counting and the stock rear finally bit the dust, next will be the trans.

The exp axle was designed for 15's. I have no idea about 9 Inch ends.

The 8.8 is going to be stronger then needed at 31's. people use them up to 37's with little caution.
I'm planning a 8.8 swap for my 94 but I'm going to a 32 inch tire at some point with locker and ditching my turdy five. I'd say just run it as is.

you could just swap a ford 9" in and have the shafts drilled for 5 on 4.5 and run explorer drum brakes. that appears much stronger, easier , and cheaper. one idea. I mean if you are going super custom by welding 9" outers on the thing anyway...

if you are only going to run 31s, just slap a 8.25 in there, or find a XJ dana 44, or a stock 8.8 and call it done.

the C Clip eliminator kits come with 31 spline chromos. something to think about. should be strong enough id imagine.

if you were going to run 40" tires maybe try this, but once again, at that point, slap a 9" in, or at that point, a 14bolt.

for 37" and smaller tires, a stock 8.8 will handle a ton of abuse if you weld the tubes and truss it and slap a full case locker in there , then of course the C Clip eliminator kits.

I think in stock form an 8.8 would be plenty for what you want. IMO your way overbuilding an axle that's not seeing much abuse. You're not road racing the thing so the side loading and such really isn't much of a problem.

Thanks for all the replies and I don't want to be rude but it seems reading comprehension is low here. I don't want a locker for a daily driver. You may, I don't on such a small and light vehicle. If I was daily driving my lifted 78 chev 3/4 ton a locker would be no issue. Heck I'd run a full spool in the 14 bolt and have no issues with 36" TSL's on the street. It still has to be driveable on the street as my Mom uses it when her car is in the shop or I'm doing repairs to it. Building a 9" is NOT cheaper, actually more expensive considering I'd still need everything and still have to buy brakes and narrow it. I might as well start with the 8.8 with brakes for the same(or cheaper) than a complete 9". 9" are also very notorious for being horsepower robbers and inefficient. I don't need less efficiency with a jeep that at best gets 15 mpg. I'm also not interested in an ARB and all the extra stuff involved to make it work and then still have reliability issues with the rotating seal carrier and having to grind into a bearing cap. Remember, this is a daily driver that see's 10-20k a year.

If you saw how I drive road racing is not a far stretch. To get around here you have to drive like you stole it or forever be stuck in traffic. I guess I could go with the detroit true trac and keep the c-clips but I have not read any reliability reports on that but I have read of people grenading them or wearing them out, in which case they are not repairable. If they have fixed the issue with these of the planet gears boring out the case during use I will think about that instead of the eaton. I would just set up the carrier with extra bearing preload to make up for some side loading issues on the bearings. I'm not afraid of C-clips, never had one fail. I've had them close to failing (grooved clips) But by that time the axle seals need replacing and maybe bearings. In which case the axles are also grooved by the bearings and in need of replacing.

I was just hoping to find someone that's done the 8.8 with 9" ends upgrade that could shed some light. Guess I'm the only one interested in that mod. Making a jig to do it is easy and I've got a full machine shop at work and access to all the equipment I need and also welders that are familiar with welding diffs and trusses along with narrowing and straightening axles etc....

But thanks for all the help anyway. Maybe I will call Mark Williams or Moser and see what they say.

It's amazing the mustang guys don't seem to have any problems racing with their 8.8s but youre convinced piss rodding on the streets will tear up the diff. If you drive like like that the rear end is the least of your worries. You asked for advice man, a lot of people have had a lot more dealings with this axle than you obviously have.

Once again someone with reading comprehension skills. I asked specific questions looking for someone with the experience I am looking for. IF you don't have the experience just butt out. I did NOT ask for advice on lockers, or using a stock 8.8. I asked SPECIFICALLY about using 9" ends on an 8.8. If you have not done it or know of others that have just don't reply. Is it that hard? Mustang guys DO swap to 9" ends, quite often but they are using MUSTANG rears NOT explorers. Otherwise Mark Williams and others would NOT offer the ends to do it. Go to some of the road race sites and you will see.

If a mod reads this just go ahead and delete the whole thread. I'll look elsewhere for helpful answers to my questions. Thanks to those that actually had helpful insight.

Sorry dude, but no one has in insight, cuz no ones done it. Not worth it from what I am reading here, unless you just want to do it to say you did it.

Trcm is right, the effort going into this adding 9" ends to a 8.8 is just mainly for bragging rights to say you done it. Many here run stock 29 spline 8.25 rear axles on 35" tires and beat the piss out of them and no c-clip breakage. C-clip breakage is actually kinda a rare thing. Just slap a lsd 8.25 from a late model and you would be plenty fine. Especially if it's 95% street. Heck you can rearrange the clutch packs to use 4 on each side instead of 3 and have it a bit more traction or leave it stock. You're trying to make a more complicated situation for something as insignificant as 31" tires. This kind of fabricating is when you want to run larger tires on the 37" range

My biggest issue with the 8.8 is locker selection and the crush sleeve. They seem to be tempermental when in the rocks alot. Ill be switching to a solid spacer next week. However even with stock shafts they are more than enough for 37s with a sensible pilot. Of which im not so ill keep it at 35s then swap in my 14bt and not have to worry about it.

I have a solid spacer, c clip eliminators, 4340 Yukon shafts, and a spool, on 35"s with a V8 and never had a problem. I wish I had ARB money for it or Yukon made a zip locker for it though

Back