• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar tire mount, antenna relocate, black canyon wheels

veedubshafer said:
well, sounds pretty enough if actually CARE enough to put bedliner and bondo on :sure: and if you're just riding on trails then you should have just left it stock and yeah I like backing into trees it makes for a good laugh and scares the fiance

let me rephrase:

all that crap was on it when I bought it. If I was concerned with it being all pretty, I would have bought a new 4Runner or Rover. I bought this as a project to mess with, wheel with occasionally, and haul stuff with.

I have other cars that look nice, don't need the XJ to.

Im really looking for this swing carrier,, it that part on the bumper the only thing that holds it there? by those 2 bolts? also,, how hard is it to put that latch on the door,, to what does it hold on the back? IDK, im kinda afraid of butchering up the door.. any help thanx,,

Re Mopar tire mount

Hi

Yes I agree, this may not be a rock crawlers wet dream, and it does need reinforcement. I am currently fitting one to our TD. Here is my two pennies worth so far.....

I got one on ebay for 75 pounds, although it did have a couple of bolts missing and a bit of rust. As all bolts were to be replaced with stainless this was not a problem. There is a bracket at the bottom, which stops over swing out, which is a crap design and have left off for now, though I am going to modify this. The rust was bronze brushed, then treated with phosphric acid, given a day to "harden" then sprayed with Plasticote black gloss enamel spray, this is an excellent match for original coat.

Over here in England there is not alot of rock bashing to worry about, however departure angle is is still an issue, although the custom hitch offers some protection. Any way re request for corner view I have a pic. This was taken during fitting last weekend.

Rear-1.jpg

The perspective does not help, but you going to to knock the exhuast first, unless you come down on the corner it's self.

There are advantages to using the OEM kit. The Mopar one is the carrier that mounts of the side panel, this one was original Jeep kit, listed in the parts catalog, hence the design.....
So for me, regardless of neg comments this is mho

the good ......
take the roof mounted tyre of as mentioned
retain on road crumple zone
retain oe bumper
tyre does not totally block rear view, unlike some carriers
ease of use if fitted properly
ideal for forest, snow, and white routes, red with caution and a lift
cheap
parts list available
oh yeah and it's made in Canada apparently

the bad ......
reduced angle
possible corner damage
rear weight
requirement for additional reinforcement
not suitable for crawling the slabs or black routes
could build better if had the time, a welder, and steel
some don't think .............it should be seen on the trail
no fitting instructions, though it is not rocket science

Like the plate idea fyi

:cool:

Last edited:
Hi Blaine
You are right, there were two, my error on typo, not enough coffee, Irish's and Mine is a Mopar, the AMC version was the one hanging of the side, Madxj did a good article on this. Follow this link.
You can down load parts and drawings from the team at Great Lakes 4x4 for the OEM AMC and Mopar if it helps. These are PDF files, open and go to Wheels where it is listed as XJ swing out carrier......
AMC
Mopar
Hope this helps
Ps If you want to visit the Tech pages at Great Lakes click here

Good work man, looks like it'll work perfect for your application.

On a side note; I want to see the POS veedubshafer is rollin around in.

Back