• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mono's got me down

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
I just started college up here in Boston, and I'm still close enough to home that I can come home and go wheeling if I want. So I had a very soar throat last weekend, got some medicine, got better. Middle of this week, it starts coming back, got my bloodwork back yesterday, Mono. YAY. I am not like exhausted or anything like that, which is good, and what almost everyone else gets like.

The only thing is, I was supposed to be going on a trail ride with my club this sunday, and I had gotten so pumped to go, and it will be the first time wheeling with the new 5.5 springs on the back.

My mom wakes me up this morning with a phone call, "I just got off the phone with the docs, you are not allowed to go wheeling, your spleen can get enlarged with mono, and the bumps and everything offroad can be bad, you don't want it to rupture."

I am so mad now, cause the only thing I was looking forward to this weekend was wheeling, now I get to stay in, and do nothing. Just thought I'd share.

My wife got it right before she got married. She has never been the same.

It has been seven years and she still has reaccuring effects.

Hope its not this way with you.

I got it at the beginning of this school year. I didn't really have that bad of a case, though. Felt crappy for about 2.5 weeks, but only missed a week of school, thankfully. I wasn't that tired either. My glands in my throat were just huge though! It hurt to eat/swallow anything. That's the most painful and annoying part in my opinion.

Too bad you can't go wheeling, but your mom is probably right. I think I'd rather stay home and try and get better asap than accidentally rupture my spleen... eh? :wierd:

Hope you feel better soon and get another chance to go wheeling!

must be goin around the mass area right now. my girlfriend back home in foxboro, ma says that nearly my entire old high school has it and same with a few towns around. thank god i moved my ass out here to wyoming

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
I got it at the beginning of this school year. I didn't really have that bad of a case, though. Felt crappy for about 2.5 weeks, but only missed a week of school, thankfully. I wasn't that tired either. My glands in my throat were just huge though! It hurt to eat/swallow anything. That's the most painful and annoying part in my opinion.
Ya, thats how I knew I had it. Almost over night the left side of my throat started killing. By the end of that day, I couldn't even talk right my throat hurt so much. I tried to eat a single Cheez-it, and after chewing it a ton, swallowing it felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I got a Z-pack, made it better, then the beginning of this week my throat started to get soar again, then mono test came back positive.

foxwar71 - Ya it has to be going around. My friend who is out in providence had it recently and he had to come home every weekend to get some rest. I know a couple people at my school who have had it so far, and a friend of mine tells me that her friend just got it too and she isn't feeling tired or anything like that either.

DrMoab - Sorry to hear about your wife, thats a real shame that that happened. Hopefully she doesn't have chronic mono. And thanks I hope it doesn't happen with me either.

This weekend I was supposed to go wheeling, and next weekend I was supposed to be in the "Husky Hunt". Its a 24 hour scavenger hunt around Boston for my school, with teams of 12. 1st place is 12 round trip tickets on Jet Blue to Bahamas for spring break. I guess I'll be home base and be the navigator for my team instead.

Last edited:
I had that crap twice, it sucks. Get better.

Back