• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mongos maddness junk yard 5.0 (allmost) build

mongo1973

NAXJA Forum User
all right so yes i am new to naxja forums thanks for any input ahead of time
i have a 91 xj sport 2wd with 35+000 on the clock still runs good pulls hard and can still eat some hondas on a heated drive to work . its getting to the point where its time for a total redo from engine and trans to susp. and drivetrain along with seats and carpet and maybe fix some wiring issues.

ENGINE
so i plan to use a for 5.0 out of a 98 explorer (gt-40 engine)
reasons for using i cut my teeth on 302s and i have most of the parts laying around to do a carb swap and add a little hp

questions i plan on lowering my jeep after the swap does anyone know wich oil pan leaves the most clearance also has anyone used a ford power steering pump in their jeep (any issues any input) i plan to do the durango gear box swap while the engine is out

TRANS
prob just going to grab a ford AOD tranny out of a 3 door explorer along with the driveshaft ( the 3 door explorers are the same wheel base so the driveshaft should be close) also any input there would be nice

BRAKES

im going to wait and grab a explorer 8.8 with disk and 3.08 gears im a mpg nut and also grabbing a zj brake booster now my questions are if im planning on going the wj knuckel swap with disk in the rear should i use the PV off of the zj or one off a wj

also my jeep being a 91 has the hub in rotor and all the info i get of the swap is with a newer model hub so can i make this work with my axle or do i need to grab one out of like a 95 96 and start my upgrade from there

as far as lowering it i know im going to spring under the 8.8 as far as the front im kinda at a loss i know ill prob have to knotch the axle for clearance but im not sure what to do about my springs or control arms

now on to the bull $#it of it now in my head mind you i cant think of any eletronics that im going to have to deal with i allready have a carb and intake and dis. with ford brain box does a ford aod tranny have any eletrical tid bits i dont know about and does anyone know how to get a working speedo with this combo

as you can tell i somwhat know what im doing i have spent all day picking out exactly what parts i want to work with and these are the only questions i could come up with so please feel free to chime in all advice and opinions are welcome thanks for reading and thanks again for the help i hope by the end of the year we all get to see this done i plan on doing write ups for all of it with tons of pics of stuff that counts

Now THAT'S an engine swap I'll do to an XJ. :D By the way, I believe the 5.0 explorers used a 4r70W with the Windsor bolt pattern. They are much better than the AOD. And good choice on using the 98' explorer engine. Those have the improved gt40p heads. IMO swap in 5.0 mustang OEM valvesprings and a 5.0 HO cam or just install 1.7 rockers. Or a trickflow stage 1 cam with trickflow valvesprings. :)

Last edited:
By the way, I believe the 5.0 explorers used a 4r70W with the Windsor bolt pattern. They are much better than the AOD. :)

Indeed they did, and not only is the 4R70W a much better tranny than the AOD, but it also has wider ratios and a higher ratio 1st gear for a quicker launch. Unfortunately that tranny is electronic so if you're going to delete the electronics from your Jeep, you'll need to swap in a full manual valve body.

thanks for the responces im running the 302 because i have parts laying around to do a non eletric swap like a edelbroke performer rpm intake e303 cam 1605 carb and some shorties as far as the tranny i plan on using the aod because its manual valve body i have no clue how to comvert the 4r70 but ill hear someone out about it and 5 spd is out i want to strip my jeep and have this in and driving in a weekend and installing and making room for all the clutch assembly seems like it would eat way to much time

and yea i allways knew the explorers came with the gt40 engines and they are one of the last cars ford put the 5.0 in so the chances of getting one with lower miles is alittle better

Take Photos.

This may be the best conversion yet. The SBF is one of the smallest, overall dimensions, V8 out there.

If I could stuff one into a '71 Pinto, you should be able to stuff one into an XJ.

i plan to everything looks like it should be an easy fit.. does anyone know about motor mounts .. i figure i could try to fab some but if anyone knows of a site that has them or a member that would be able to make some im intrested... also does anyone know about the breaks? btw i have fallen in love with this forums thanks guys

SBF is so under rated. I'd like to see this completed. Please don't Billy-Bob it with carburetor.

SBF is so under rated. I'd like to see this completed. Please don't Billy-Bob it with carburetor.

AGREED. Early fox body fuel injection is real easy and reliable, as long as your not planning on major performance mods. I have a 5.0 and 80s mustang maf system laying around, Just incase I get sick of the straight six...

For big mods there is the p-n-p Megasquirt harness. But a Jeep wouldn't need big mods.

its going to be carbed for a while ... basicly because i allready have one on and intake in the barn..

thoes engine mounts are sweet thanks for the info

im looking into a junkyard cooling upgrade as well im gonna grab a twin ele. fan on my next junk yard day

MERRY CHRISTMAS BOYS AND GIRLS

yea they were a main problem in my head .. my biggest things are suspention steering and breaks does anyone know what PV i should use on the new break set up and power steering should the ford pump work with a durango gear box?

Back