• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modline vs. CSF

Modline or CSF?

• Modline

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • CSF

Votes: 37 50.0%

• Total voters
burby777 said:
Do you remember if 2802 is the part # you used? thanks for the info...

i duno.. i just drove up to their office and said... i need a rad for a 1998 Jeep XJ.. 4.0L.. and 10 mins later i drove away... sorry dood
ill check the receipt and see if that says anything.. ill pm u the info...

my 87 xj has been overheating ever since i bought it a few months ago. i have replaced my thermostat from a195 to a 160 to help with the overheating and it only delayed the overheating as i predicted. but living in houston we dont get much cold weather so heating the engine wont be to bad of an issue.

i have been looking around for a new radiator for it for a few weeks now and i cant decide who to go with. i have heard alot of good things about the modine and some mixed things about the GDI but noit much on the csf. my brother had a GDI in his 96 xj and swears by it, but me im not so sure. i plan to swap from the open system used in the late 80's and early 90's to the closed. and i defanently want to go with a 3 row.

ive gotten my search narrowed down to CSF and modine. but ive had some trouble coming across a modine 3 row radiator for sale does anybody know of a good place to find one? or even a good price on the CSF 3 row??

cherokeeproject said:
my 87 xj has been overheating ever since i bought it a few months ago. i have replaced my thermostat from a195 to a 160 to help with the overheating and it only delayed the overheating as i predicted. but living in houston we dont get much cold weather so heating the engine wont be to bad of an issue.

By running the cooler thermostat, not only are you making your overheating problem WORSE, but you're also affecting fuel economy, engine life, etc. Buy ANY GOOD metal radiator, put the 195* thermostat back in. By running the cooler thermostat, the coolant isn't staying IN the radiator long enough to be cooled, so you're compounding the problem. The computer also thinks that the engine is still cold and adds extra fuel until it warms up, which in your case would be never. This extra fuel will wash the cylinders down and not provide the rings with the lubrication they need.

John

I am getting close to saying that my cooling prob (warming up at idle/traffic) is related to my gdi rad as everything else has been replaced.

If intrested see http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66356

I called up my local napa and they said that he could get me the modine, but that it would be a waste of money as they are not made by them anymore. I have heard of similar things being said around here and unsure what to get if i need to. Napa wanted 165$ for it and a semi-local shop said they could get the modine 2 core for 140$. Big price gaps, and unsure of what modine has out now ?

pete

I have Modines in BOTH of my heeps....the XJ cools well at the mud boggs with the A/C on (hey..it's nice to stay cool and dry)....long as I keep the mud out :laugh3: The MJ handles stop and go summer traffic with the A/C on with no probs.

I installed a CSF 3-row about a month ago, in my 96 Sport. It cools great; much better than the stock 1-row did. Jeep should never have put a 1-row radiator in front of the 4.0L, it's marginal at best.

The Modines are also good, I just couldn't find one in my area, so I went with the CSF.

Well let me ask this then.

Can a radiator cause problems at idle ? Because i have been told that usual issues when idle are caused by either the fans or water pump.

pete

i had overheating problems at idle and at highway speed. I replaced the rad with the CSF from Dirk @ DPG. And because I didn't want to go back in to replace components one at a time, I also replaced the t-stat (stock replacement,) upper and lower rad hoses, water pump, belt, and got one of those high flow t-stat housings. I didn't replace the fan clutch because a friend had loaned me his old one to test. I still get a little temp rise at idle for a long time (like in a slow moving drive thru) so the fan clutch will get replaced with a new one soon.

As for overheating, at any speed, I stay right under the 210 mark on my temp gauge with AC on and 105* ambient temp. Before, these conditions would have put me at about 225* on the guage.

I've got a Trans-Pro all metal 3 row in my '98 and so far it runs noticably cooler all the time now, even in 100*+ weather with the AC on! The radiator was kind of a Mickey Mouse install but it won't even break 210* in the worst conditions I normally drive in (Aurora, IL to West Chicago, IL durring rush hour in hot weather, it would normally run 220+, now it will only get close to 210 party1: ) I also replaced the T-Stat with a 195 MOPAR replacement and put on a new belt and lower hose (dealer gave me the wrong upper hose and I didn't notice it till Dad and I went to put it in) and did a Prestone flush before and baking soda flush after too. Forgot how much I hate the smell of anti-freeze before that weekend!

I just called napa and they said the modines they can order are plastic tanks and aluminum innards ? Whats the deal ? Are they just confused ?

Also since they are not being made by modine anymore, are they still a good choice ? Whats a good source ?

pete

well langer i have their all metal one and i think it may be the root of my probs. I am still a bit uneasy about buying a modine now that they are affilated with gdi.

Maybe i can go and look around at the modines this weekend if i have a chance. Do the modines have any specific marking or anything that would be apparent in making them the model everyone is having luck with?

pete

jeepsrock said:
well langer i have their all metal one and i think it may be the root of my probs. I am still a bit uneasy about buying a modine now that they are affilated with gdi.

Maybe i can go and look around at the modines this weekend if i have a chance. Do the modines have any specific marking or anything that would be apparent in making them the model everyone is having luck with?

pete
There was never a cooling issue with GDI, the only problems were with their cheaper plastic tank ones would leak. The only thing other than a leak that ruins any radiator is rust and corrosion inside the tubes or dead bugs and dirt it the fins, blocking air flow.
The other cause of cooling system failure is a small leak. The cooling system MUST pressurize to 17 # or it will boil the coolant out. A pressure leak down test will find that often it’s just a bad cap.

I called NAPA today and they have the Modine 2 row for 148.00. I asked if it was "all metal" and he did not know, gave me a part number of 2802. is this the all metal radiator, or the plastic junk?

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
I called NAPA today and they have the Modine 2 row for 148.00. I asked if it was "all metal" and he did not know, gave me a part number of 2802. is this the all metal radiator, or the plastic junk?

L.R.
#2802 is the heavy-duty unit with brass tank and copper core.

Back