• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mixed heat

Hellbent,
Many thanks for your suggestion, im having a quick look now, it appears that the bottom part needs to come off, But the (possible!) good news is, im hopefull its the cure after spending many many hours searching. It doesnt look toooo bad for someone who has difficulty wiring a plug! And will be obviously cheaper than a new heater matrix if it turns out to be the case.
Ill keep you updated and post the results of my findings
many thanks

O.k, I dont want speak to soon but i think this problem is fixed.

Ill try and cut a long story short.
Its WELL BELOW freezing, so yesterday my wife checks the coolant in HER car. Its nearly empty, so she tops it up. Today its empty again!

Mechanic has a look, takes rad cap off her car and starts engine. Coolant starts to come out the top of the radiator when it heats up. "Blown head gasket" he says to me, (and he IS right).
So i tell him that my jeep does the same thing with the cap off. "thats 2 blown head gaskets then".
I explain the expansion bottle, im not loosing coolant, its only got 30k on the clock etc etc and that i didnt think i had a blown head gasket, and he says that my car would NOT lose coolant out the radiator with the cap off. The only time it might come out the top is when stuck in trafic on a hot day and then it would only be a very small amount, otherwise it should just remain in the radiator. So anyway he then leaves.

I then take the cap off my radiator, start her up and after about 5 mins coolant starts to come out the top of the radiator, i replace the coolant as it comes up. I didnt intentionally burp the system, I could only have had perhaps just over glass full of coolant spill over.

But today i have HOT HOT HOT HEAT everywhere, as in melt the plastic heat.
I done over a hundred miles, stop and start journeys, played with the settings loads and they all worked as they should, at idle or otherwise.

Im praying this is the fix, and not something intermittent. Im also praying that i havent a blown head gasket!!.(Nice coolant that doesnt leak, Nice oil, no leaks and silky SMOOOTTH as if she come of the forecourt.)

Im making an assumption that somehow i had an air pocket TRAPPED within the heater matrix? Thank god that i didnt just get a new heater core and start taking that dash apart.

Back