• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mini 14 bolt

I have had 10 bolts, 12 bolts, and 14 bolts in full size chevy's, several running 38s and bigger, and broke an axle occasionally. I wheeled the crap out of all of those rigs, and the lightest one weighed in at around 5k pounds. A cherokee is considerably lighter than that, and most of those in XJs aren'r running 38's and bigger either. Plus I am going to go out on a limb and say most cherokees aren't putting down the horsepower that i was with a 383 stroker in my full size chevys either. Any axle can be broken with a lot of pedal, and a little brains involved. However, I doubt most of the people here would ever manage to break a 10 bolt under an XJ.

I will look around and see if I can come across a wide track waggy, 63" would be a good width. Are they easy to find, anyone seem them around any salvage yards in CO? Also I think they guy with the 14 bolt had a d44 from a J and I don't believe that they have a center diff. am I correct? If it was the J axle then using it would mean that my exhaust from the cat back would need re-done not a huge problem but not replacing parts that don't need it sucks, but 65" width would be great!

Just as some food for thought. I broke an xj 44 rear shaft (non c-clip) and the axle walked out on me because the bearing grenaded shortly after the shaft broke which caused the shaft to come out.

yeah the c-clip doesn't worry me all that much, yes I would rather have a none c-clip but a stronger c-clip axle is fine. I would not go with this c-clip 14 bolt because of how large it is I don't want to drag my axle all over the rocks.

Back