• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild Jeepspeed built Rig as A DD??

oakesters

NAXJA Forum User
I had a 1992 xj that i want to build into a mild Prerunner/Jeepspeed / DD.. I know this is a jeepspeed forum but something someone could drive every day, then on a weekend prerun /Do Timed lap course stuff,but not a full blown racecar/jeepspeed rig Any ideas , set ups?Anyone has such a Beast? Or have input?

up until i bought my comanche i drove my XJ every day, and i would call it a mild prerunner. there are plenty of fully caged rigs running around that get driven every day as well. its completely do-able, it just depends how deep into the racer aspect you want to go. im sure Jim will chime in here soon enough, until his head cracked i believe he drove his XJ every day too.

i used to drive mine daily then i blew the rearend!(poor dana35) it can be completely done and if i didnt have 4 cars i would still drive it daily!(soon wil be driving it daily again) they are quite reliable and if you keep on top of checking every bolt on a regular basis you really wont have anymore problems than anyone driving a ford ranger thats lifted....
-chad

Any pics or set-ups on prerunner/dd jeeps?
as it sat last winter
0125080003.jpg

as it sits yesterday waiting for me to build the new rear axle!
P090513004.jpg

specs. stroker, deaver 5.5 coils, deaver 9 packs, re drop brackets, re fixed arms, re 1.5" shackles, stock wheels off 97 or newer?, 33/12.50R15 bfg at's, ect...

Last edited:
I think a stiff 3", 31s, 4.10 gears, trussed 30 with WJ outers, ZJ disced 8.25, sway discos & bilsteins would get the job done pretty well. Could go taller & bigger tires of course but this setup would do well around town & would be cheaper to build, too. Stroker would add to awesomeness and expense, of course. I pretty firmly believe that any XJ meant to move quickly with more than stock tires would benefit from ZJ rear brakes and WJ fronts... factory braking brings the suck during panic stops from 85.
Yes, I probably drive too fast.

mine is right about 6". 16" king 2.5 shocks through the floor in the back, 12" FOA's in the front. hanneman 6" flat top fenders and a JCR prerunner series bumper. its rolling on 33" BFG Baja T/As and still on stock gears for now. it doesnt have the jump off the line power it used to with 30s or 31s, but its still totally comfortable to drive around town as is.

this is how she sits today, still driven every day, most times upwards of 60 miles a day. (up until i bought my comanche as a DD so i could really tear into the XJ and shift it more towards an offroad runner)
HDR_test_final2_small.jpg

back when it was 4" on 31s
jeep_HDR___lowres_final.jpg

jeeprunnin3.jpg

DSCN0459.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

In one weekend I... Hit an urban jump(20-30'), hit some decent sized whoops at 50+, drove to my buddys house a good 30 miles away(right after I hit the whoops), and towed a 3.4 v6 on my trailer 50+ miles round trip going about 85.
Yeah I would say its very possible.

Mine was also my daily driver for quite some time. It won't be after this, because it's getting stripped interior and caged, so it's gonna be loud and uncomfortable for long trips most likely, we'll have to see how nice I can make the inside with what I've got to work with.

LOL, where do you get that idea Jim??

Mine was also my daily driver for quite some time. It won't be after this, because it's getting stripped interior and caged, so it's gonna be loud and uncomfortable for long trips most likely, we'll have to see how nice I can make the inside with what I've got to work with.

its actually not near as bad as you would think! i haven't had carpet or head liner or plastic panels for over 4 years i do still have the stock door panels and rubber/ carpet floor mats but i prefer to drive the jeep over any of my other cars on long trips! i think you will be suprised.
-chad

I've got mixed feelings on them. They're LOUD, and they flat spot every night. But that goes away within a few miles. Now, on to the wear issue, where I thought they were wearing quickly, I looked at some pictures I took a few months ago, and they're virtually the same. So they wear GREAT.

Now, with that aside, I will DEFINITELY run them again, with all the hassle of these tires, the trade off is worth it with how great they do for me in the dirt.

Back