• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild Engine Build - Right Track?

Maybe its just a lack of being familiar with you?
That right there says a lot about their service. I have discussed custom cams with several other vendors and comp was the only one that wasn't interested in talking custom grinds. That includes two of the best cam people in the racing industry. The other companies didn't know me from Joe Schmo either.

It doesnt really say anything about their service, it says i took a guess at why you had issues? :)

Personally, i have never talked to Comp.

It doesnt really say anything about their service.

Uh...yes it does.

If you're Joe Shmoe, interested in a custom grind cam and probably only ever ordering one of them, you're out of luck discussing custom grinds.

If you're an engine building pumping out engines and continuously buying cams from them, they'll talk with you all day long about custom grinds.

Uh...yes it does.

If you're Joe Shmoe, interested in a custom grind cam and probably only ever ordering one of them, you're out of luck discussing custom grinds.

If you're an engine building pumping out engines and continuously buying cams from them, they'll talk with you all day long about custom grinds.

It doesnt, as my statement which was quoted was a wild guess as to the problem he had with no personal experience or knowledge behind it (as I said in my last post). Don't hold them to my assumption.

I took a guess as to the problem and don't know that I'm right. I know one person who orders custom grinds, and I know Comp works with him regularly on it.

I've been running the Mopar 4529230AB cam(256* dur./ .450" lift /40* overlap) in my stroker since '08 and love it. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 4529228A_(whatever letter they're on now) in a 4.0l build or even a stroker build with 1.7rrs. I don't know of any other cam that has an overlap as low as 32*, so your engine will be building low-end torque well before others. I'd use this cam for boosted apps too.

I personally dont think the cost of the Mopar performance cam is really worth the price of it, in relation to power gained. I think you are looking at building an engine or stroker, that would be a better time to do a cam upgrade.

I am personally rebuilding a 4.0, but I plan on stroking it to 4.2L. That engine will use a new crank from a 3.8L from 72-79, and pistons. I plan on using the stock 97 cam since I want it to be as budget friendly as possible and I think that some extended ratio rockers would be money better spent.

I know you arent doing a stroker, I just figured I'd give you my opinion.. which is far from professional!

Back