• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Midwest Fishing!

im hung over and sun burt... lol. some of my best fish stories start with last minute decisions... but i hate to waste my time with fudging with tackle when i could be FISHING. father always used to say, "you cant catch anything without your line in the water."

i like to get my rods and tackle ready the day before, that way i hit the water, motor down, and lines are instantly in the water... i hate when people spend 2 hours tying on 3 lures. that should be done before your even in the truck. i took the time (all of 30 minutes) to make four 6' long flourocarbon leaders yesterday. made today a breeze.

but... i also have a small fleet of rods and tackle boxes... musky rods are always ready to go. bass rods are always ready to go. my father is outfitted quite nicely for salmon. and the UL stuff always has something fishable on it.

Last edited:
Went up to Little Sturgeon yesterday evening. I hooked onto something with my ultra light. It started spooling off the drag and I figured it was some bluegill or something so I tightened it up a hair. Took my time reeling it in, didn't want to send it into shock. Got it to the pier and the thing was HUGE! I swear, it had to have been 18" long. Couldn't tell what it was.

The dude I was with saw my rod nearly doubled in half and decided he was worried it wouldn't hold up. Tihh. He saw the long shape and thought maybe it was a walleye or something with teeth so he didn't grab it by the mouth. Flipped the grass off from around its head, reached for the gills while pulling it out of the water a little and SNAP. The fish was done fighting by then...about half of it's body still in the water and it broke 6# test.

After talking with a couple folks they think it may have been a lawyer fish. Whatever the hell that is. It was brown with scales about pinky nail sized, dorsal fin near the tail, white belly and I'm about 90% sure it had a spot near its tail.

Any idea?

googled "lawyer fish". ive never heard of it...

Acalva.jpg

looks like something similar to a bowfin or snake head to me...

From the further research we are now believing it was a bowfin.

Spent last night up on the boat on Little Sturgeon. Caught a few keepers. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

Keepers:

My biggest bass:

A couple years back I started fishing for Muskie and haven't been able to stop. I go out in a canoe and have a good time or at least catch a good buzz. :)

Heading out. I'll give you updates.

Hopefully there's a reason to update...

Heading out. I'll give you updates.

Hopefully there's a reason to update...
Good mess of bulegill and rock bass.

Pics to come.

Paul's beauty!

My first rock bass.

And the end of the day on Shawano Lake.

It was going down so quickly that when I decided to snap a shot I was worried I wouldn't be able to take the fish off the hook and get my camera up in time. A minute earlier looked even better.

Went fishing this weekend while camping, Sarah had never put a worm on the hook either. I did the first one but after a while I just held the hook still while she put it on. We each got a bite and that was it. I tossed about three worms to the tiny fish just to watch them fight over the worm.

Someone say fishing? :yelclap:

Back in CO I was dry fly guy and love me some brooks. I then spent a few months in FL and got into Bass fishing. Moved up here and I think the bass fishing is way better, in fact I caught my biggest up here.

Got me a honey hole about three miles away that does not see much pressure. Something about all the trees sticking up all over the lake (Old mine ponds), my little Jon boat is just perfect. First day going there my pole didn't even make it out of the truck. Kids were catching pan fish left and right, some of them good size too. Well, the next time they learned how to bait the hook and take off the fish.

I pretty much just use soft baits rigged texas like. Since I am the only real fish eater I mostly CAR and debarb my hooks, makes fishing more of a challenge and easy on the fish too.

I hear there is good walley and muskie fishing around here but yet to give it a try.

some random pics, my big boy first
004_zpsf624876f.jpg

and my sons big boy
001_zps6beaedea.jpg

that lake looks fun, how big is it?

if your like texas rig, you got to try a pig and jig. when i lived in Va, i used a texas rig a LOT. but after seeing so many people here in Mi using them i broke out of my stuborn ways and made the switch. its deffinantly more effective IMHO.

jig and pork trailer... aka, pig n jig.

the trailers arent usually pork these days.

if you want some basics on hooking into some serious 'skies... ive done a lot of research and trial and error. im sure the bight is hot right now.

That's a big'un!!

My buddy Paul went up to his cabin this weekend. This is the cabin we use for hunting season, which is probably why he's up there (for bow), and ice fishing. The lake is kinda depleted. There's no real cover and when the fish were big, the secret got out and it got nailed. Usually if anything is getting caught, it's small-time.

When my phone and photobucket get on the same page...I'll show you the pic I got yesterday making me insanely jealous.

Back