• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Michelin worth it?

Currently I have the Goodyear RT/S as kind of a place holder until I put something decent in there. Goodyear in the past for me has been a disappointment in the durability and toughness factor but that has been a few years...

The Goodyear RT/S are some of the worst tires. Those are what came stock on the Jeep. Many people hate Goodyears, but the truth is they just have different lines of tires. The RT/S for example, is the cheaper crappier tire. The Silent Armor, Duratrac, and MT/R are more expensive but built better. I'd check out tirerack.com and read some of the reviews there. They have both the Michelins and Firestones. Both are good in the snow, but the Firestones seem to not hurt the wallet as much. The Firestones also seem to be a bit more aggressive which will help you in deeper snow. If it was me I'd go with the Firestones.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO are the best AT tire I have ever owned. I currently have a set of the Dueper 693's (as I got them used for cheap with decent tread) which IMO are 2nd to the REVO's
Other than that Dayton Timberline AT, Firestone Destination AT. Heard great things about the Falken Wild Peak/Rocky Mountain AT's

I had both the LTX M-S and the Destination AT tires. My XJ is still shod with Destination ATs for a reason.... they work and are a decent value.

Having Dueler AT Revo tires on a WJ, I can say they are an excellent choice as well, very versatile, but not mud tires.

Echo comments about the LTX tires being awful in the snow. They are better made than most for sure, but that was a drawback I simply couldn't accept when traveling to snowy areas to ski.

xj upnovr-that is what I'm looking for...I drive 4-5 times a winter through Kansas, Colorado, and Wyoming into Montana in my XJ so I absolutely NEED snow driving capability. Yes I have chains for anything that gets that bad. Thank you everyone for your input I think I'm going to go with the Firestones...

Ran the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's on my mom's Jeep a couple of years ago. Outstanding tire. Currently have a set of LTX M/S II's on it, as well as our Tundra and have no complaints whatsoever about them.

I ran the Dueler A/T 693's on my Jeep shortly after I bought it. I wasn't real impressed with them to be honest. The traction was decent, but they didn't last at all. After about 30-35K they were shot...and I'm very good about taking care of my tires.

Loved my BFG A/T's that I ran after the 693's. Excellent in everything but mud, and I got well over 60K out of them. When I got rid of them they probably had another 5-10K left, but they were starting to suffer a bit much in the rain for my liking.

How many miles on them? That is about the only reason I wan't Michelin is the durability...

I have 10k on mine and they still look new. If you are having problems with blowouts or something you should look at the date stamped into the tire. If they get too old they are really likely to blow out. The Michalins on my work truck are all '04's but I had two 98's on it and they both blew out so any tire can have failures.

For family cars or highway vehicles Michalin is probably the best choice. If you use your truck offroad and offroad traction is of any importance to you then Duratracs are a better choice.

I've had three sets of various Michelin LTX AT2, M/S, XC LT4 and they have been the most trouble free tires I've had. Nearly 70k miles on my big 'Burb and they still look fine with no funny wear, and they run smooth as can be. I grew up in snow country but only visit for the skiing and winter fun, and they work fine. There are many variables in snow and ice and in the vehicle too. I don't think you'll go wrong with the higher end tires from Michelin/Goodyear/Firestone, but Michelin are hard to beat.

i run a set of the all new 31 inch neomaxifluxdiskcombobulators. there great tires they are great in snow, lava, sand, rain, mud, asphalt, pudding, cream corn and moon dirt. i had them and put roughly 325,000 miles on my first set and recommend them to anyone with a jeep. they are so quiet on the highway. we did some testing for roadnoise because of the 30,000 treadwear rating. the soundlevel at 95 mph was a very quiet 50db on a weighting. i hate all tires now. these are the bombdigity. at 675.00 per tire not including nitrogen mounting and balancing, they are a steal..........couldnt resist. lol

see cream corn was a major issue with my baja's...tread blocks just wouldn't clean out the bigger chunks. Glad someone came up with the technology to prevent this problem

I would go with the Michelins. I had the firestones you are thinking about and they blow up. Was driving on the interstate and the back one blow up and lifted up the back of my jeep. Looked online and it is a common problem. I got the michelins and they are awesome. I can go in deep snow and deep mud. I can go anywhere offroad I want. I know it doesnt seem like I would be able to but I can. Plus I get 50 more miles on a tank of gas. Also the ride is great.

I should say that the grip isn't as good as the firestones offroad. They are A/T tires and the Michelines arent not. Just depends on how you drive your jeep. I use it as a daily driver so I perfer a better ride onroad and I like having to use somemore skill when off roading :moon:

I can highly recommend the Goodyear Silent Armour and the DuraTrac
I run the Silent Armour on my XJ and ZJ, and just got rid of the crappy Firestones that were on my WJ, went with the DuraTrac with studs, and Silent Armour for street use.

These tires are way better than the RTS, as they are a stock tire that comes as a factory cheap tire and is meant for running on the road.

We get ton of snow and ice, and my XJ and ZJ are great even without studs, I even let my girlfriend drive in the snow with them......

I can send more info on others that have made the switch to the Silent Armour if you are interested, and others that have been disappointed with the Michelin tires in the snow.....

Enjoy

I have nearly 100K on a set of 235/75R15 LTX on my 1995 XJ Sport and they still have around 20% tread left. My roommate has a set 225/70R16's of the new LTX2's on his 2000 XJ Classic that he picked up last summer and they still look pretty much new, and that includes two cross country trips from Raleigh, NC to Redmond, WA.

They tires have been plenty capable in the snow I've put them through in the NC area and one trip I took hauling a Honda Civic back from Wheeling, WV through a snow storm until I got to to Roanoke, VA on I-81. I've never managed to get stuck with them on my truck, but I think that is mostly because I understand they aren't mud tires. That said, I've heard many people say they have soft sidewalls and are no good on rocks for that reason. In fact, the only trouble I've ever had was right after I purchase the tires I tore golf ball sized hole in the side wall parallel parking across the street from NCSU on a storm drain that was sticking out from the curb a bit.

Oh, and the absolute best thing for the tires for me past the life has been the noise. The LTX and LTX2's are completely silent if properly maintained. They also balance very well and hold their balance for a long time. One other thing, many of the LTX sizes come in different load ratings. The ones for my XJ came in 105 and 108. The higher load rating tires seem to last longer and only cost a couple dollars more.

I rather like my cooper discoverer S/T's, have some buddies running the cheaper discoverer M/S's they rather like them and they perform well in the snow. I have driven with the LTX's on a stock burb and they handled fine on road they however were absolutely terrible in deep snow and worse on ice than any other tire I have dealt with including the cheap as hell road huggers that replaced the LTX's. One of the guys I work with has a set of the new LTX AT/2's and mentioned dispising them with a passion on anything but the street. I had a set of toyo open country A/T's and I cannot find a downside on them for light offroad and deep snow. The set I ran for a while now sits under a buddies F250 (10 ply load range E's) they have roughly 50K on them and still have 40-50% tread.

For a good all around tire the firestones are a good tire, but make sure you shop around and take a look at what cooper and toyo offer.

Another thing...I called the local firestone dealer to check up on when I could get the AT's in and they said they would recommend instead of the Firestone's (the more expensive option) these Sigma Mud Claw's. Never heard of them. Did a little research online and asked the guys down at the shop what they thought and apparently a lot of people are running them around here...anybody used those?

Back