• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MetalCloak 6PAK Shocks?

yes you can run 40spl shafts in a 9, but you still have a 9" ring gear... 14bolt is a 10.25" ring gear, the strenght is not equal.

just because they are "similar size" does not make them comparable. nobody is racing in the rocks with a rig the size of a jeepspeed pre-runner.

if you want to compare a weekend desert guy's XJ and a weelend Crawler's XJ thats fine, but you will find that if the crawler builds his rig to actually survive the rocks and not get totally trashed he will be able to keep up with the weekend desert guy in the open desert, however the weekend desert guy will have some serious issues in the rocks.

My dads Jeep runs 600hp through a stock 9 rear dana 44 front with 4:10s and a spool, 35 inch BFG bajas and has never broken a ring and pinion. He's not gentle either

Theres a pic of the old fat city jeep speed race jeep DOING THE RUBICON
sierras.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

and last my Jeep is built 100% for going fast but I crawl the piss out of it and It does amazing.

Everything your saying leads me to beleive your a close minded ignorant schmuck with no experience. thankyou come again

My dads Jeep runs 600hp through a stock 9 rear dana 44 front with 4:10s and a spool, 35 inch BFG bajas and has never broken a ring and pinion. He's not gentle either

9" gearset is quite strong for its size (the pinion runs low on the ring gear resulting in more contact than most gearsets)

but im sure he breaks the 44 and the rest of the 9" pretty regularly

i can only assume no rocks are present in his travels lol

what the XXXX does a rock crawling jeepspeed have to do with these bullshit shocks?

lets get back on topic, this thread is revealing.

what the XXXX does a rock crawling jeepspeed have to do with these bullshit shocks?

lets get back on topic, this thread is revealing.
We are on (off) topic. This is the off-topic forum and all...

..,lets get back on topic, this thread is revealing.
Dude, this thread went like three and a half pages "on topic". That's gotta' be some kind of record around here,.. :D

:doh:

you guys are reading what you want and not what I am actually posting.

a race ready go-fast jeep/prerunner can do some crawling yes. but, in the rocks, it will not do what a purpose built rock crawling rig will do.

a purpose built rock-crawler will however survive much further into the go-fast world, look at KOH, those guys build their rigs with the rocks in mind, sure they all run triple-bypasses so they can go fast, but they design the rigs to survive the rock crawling portion of the trail, thats what eats the majority of rigs. now driver error can screw any rig up in the go-fast, but that holds true for any rig, rock racer, jeepspeed, Class1 buggy, trophy truck. no a rock rig won't win a desert race because it will be heavier and that will cost it in time.

I will say it again do not equate what a race ready vehicle can do with a non-race vehicle.

and yes a weekend wheeler's go-fast XJ will be able to do moderate crawling as well. but once again, the things that make it a good go-fast rig will hurt it in the rocks.

however a weekend wheeler's rock crawler can survive on any jeepspeed trail, hell how do you think we get to most of the rock trails. they may not be able to move as quick because of weight, but a well built crawling rig can handle the whoops just fine.

the only close minded ignorant schmuck here is one that thinks that desert guys need stronger parts than crawlers.

as far as a 9" being strong. did anyone ever say it wasn't? of course not, it is a great axle, in fact its the axle I want to run in the rear of my POS, but it doesn't hold a candle strength wise to a 14bt. yes, there is the issue of better ground clearance with a 9", but you can make that up with a 13bt shave and the larger tire that you can run.

now back to being off-topic. :explosion

rubicon 4 times, john bull, carve acre many times, the old los coyotes indian res etc he beats on it at glamis and superstiton too.

he must have a magical 44 front and magical 9" housing and 31 spline magic shafts.

wait. he preruns on a stock 9" housing?

Somehow, I just have a weird feeling this guy works for the company or something. He seems to know too much about them and gets rather defensive any time someone says anything negative about them.

Not defensive but definitely critical on folks that are throwing rocks before even getting a chance to check out new technology;

I "have" used these shocks, I "have" gone fast, I "have" rock crawled with these; comments that are out of context like comparing them to triple bypass shocks should be shot down because that is not the OP was even asking about from the start.

Just an FYI:
I also have information about industry items such as the RE monotubes mentioned earlier that were made by Edelbrock will now be made by Bilstien on the next run, and that Edelbrock shock has been purchased by Eibach "Oh no!.. maybe this guy works for Bilstien or maybe Eibach , or perhaps Edelbrock, no, no maybe its Rubicon Express/Pro-Comp or maybe.... government black ops". I stated from the start that I am fairly well connected to the off-road industry and I do know my way around the internals of a shock, be it :bicycle, motorcycle, street racing, or off-road truck/Jeep or what have you. Not trying to offend any person or position myself but only giving folks information that I may be privileged to give out.

Last edited:
Not defensive but possibly definitely critical on folks that are throwing rocks before even getting a chance to check out new technology;

im surprised nobody criticized my bushel of liftgate strut shocks.

probably because its perfect

im surprised nobody criticized my bushel of liftgate strut shocks.

probably because its perfect

I had an idea about that, what if you got them out of different years of XJ's so they were all a little bit worn, but some more than others, it would be like having 2 different valvings, the newer ones would be nice and stiff, the older ones like mine would be nice and soft.

:anon:

I think Darky needs to put away his tin-foil hat,..
Have you ever seen Darky in his tin foil hat? If you had, you wouldn't suggest he take it off. It goes so well with his beard. :rolleyes:

Back