• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal on metal sound

So I got under the jeep tonight and snapped a couple of pics. I had only one bolt on the flex plate loose it also had this mark on the teeth in that same area
1d4c6a81e3b8f45ea5ce9162e0d7e5d6.jpg

On another part it had similar marks on teeth but the bolts in that area are tight.
c1c238173accd9c1390d7a1154c29bd2.jpg

I'm gonna drive it for a week and see if the noise comes back or not

So update, still making the noise :-/
I did hold the brake and give it gas but nothing came of that. but here's a twist I recently noticed: at one point when I was driving, I accelerated from a stop and the noise appeared as before but this time as I held the gas, I heard/felt a thunk and the noise stopped? It sounds like something slid away in the sense and the noise stopped.
Any ideas, am I the first to have this noise?!? Lol

Flex plate, fan and balancer noises should produce a worse noise in neutral revved up as well as in gear. Process of elimination I guess, move to other drive train parts that only move in drive.

You didn't say how the drivelines checked out.

Can you get a sound bite without all the background noise, longer might be better too.

I accelerated from a stop and the noise appeared as before but this time as I held the gas, I heard/felt a thunk and the noise stopped? It sounds like something slid away in the sense and the noise stopped. l

First thought was, too bad that thunk wasn't the part breaking. :) Atleast you would be done wondering and on to fixing. I got a bug that I haven't figured out in my other rig that is a pain too.

So update, I might have found the problem to the noise
2e6c98271fcb821b3b847dc1378b88f6.jpg

6d57bdc1850040cd8fec9c6ac355cd06.jpg

06b1acb2d06861d4fdb76f50789a58a8.jpg

84061d682beec2f986fa96d197f6f9c0.jpg

That is my steering box brace that I built awhile ago that is next to my harmonic balancer....
So the motor mounts are new, the harmonic balancer is new also. The only thing I haven't replace is the trans mount. I'm wondering if under acceleration if the engine is pivoting on the motor mounts while the trans mount flexes and the harmonic balancer contacts the brace.
The question should be, what do I do?
Do I replace the trans mount and see if that does it.
Or should I just take the brace off and see if the noise comes back?

Back