• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Melted Piston

Sleeving is really rare these days. You can usually see the sleeve when you pull the head.

I finished honing that cylinder and it didn't come out that bad. Now to hope the piston I ordered fits. And figure out how to get the connecting rod attached.

FYI what you are doing is called deglazing, honing would be done by a machine shop after boring. Id go that route if it were mine. Pull the engine, have it built right, be done with it. Deglazing it and slapping in a piston is a crap shoot, might work, might be doing it again in a month.

just curious would a distributor one tooth off and then adjusted the casing to compensate cause this? i have fixed it but just wanted to know.

So piston and rings came in. And well... I had everything set up and put the flippin connecting rod on backwards. What's the best option for this. Install piston backwards or install in normal? Also should I replace all the rings. I figure I have it this far maybe I should.

Man, that's a hard question. I dunno, it's a 50/50 shot of this working any way.

Without knowing it's going to work my inclination would be to just to the minimum necessary and save the parts for the rebuild you're planning.
But as you say it's this far apart.

We'll see what the experts think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to attempt to have this running this weekend. I'm going to do all the rings. Ye have faith in feeling sorta good about this lol.

just curious would a distributor one tooth off and then adjusted the casing to compensate cause this? i have fixed it but just wanted to know.

Running it too lean is what melts things. Like a partly clogged injector.

Did you ever measure the bore and the piston to make sure it was the right size?

The difference is a touch over the thickness of a sheet of paper. Without measuring you are shooting in the dark. Too small of a piston is a recipe for disaster. Don't risk ruining everything, measure.

Back